Re: [atlas_craftsman] cutting inside thread

  • Guenther Paul
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 5, 2013

      Don
      Do you have all the tool bit holders that come with the lathe ? if yes tell me what you have

      GP

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 5, 2013
        I have one tool bit holder it is marked 3-139-L I bought the lathe at a garage sale. it is a 12-36
        and came with the lantern post, a 5" three jaw and a lantern tool post. I have very little idea how to use a lathe. But for 150.00$ it will give me a lot of entertainment in my old age. I have no idea what came with the lathe new Don

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 5, 2013
          Don
          Now first a repromend , whats the old stuff we dont have any old guys on the forum just guys the cought there second wind.
          Now if you started to turn your blank i would remove it from the chuck and wait till i have the proper tooling. When you go back to finish what you started use the 4 jaw and indicated it back so it runs true.
          Her is a guy that sells real resonable and has all types of tools i have bean buying from him. His name is David
          his e-mail is: tooldoc@... I am not avilliated with David but he is a great guy to buy from and you save money.
          So now spend your bucks and get what you need so you can use your toy, besides you got a steel on the lathe.

          GP

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 5, 2013
            Thanks GP. I have told many people that a lathe without tooling makes a fair boat anchor. But we all have to start some where. It's difficult to decide what you need before you decide what you are going to do. I didn't say I was old but I have every intention of getting that way. It beats the alternative. Dose David have a website, catalog, list, Don

[...]

          • David Beierl
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 5, 2013
              At 07:37 PM 8/5/2013, ddean49 wrote:
              > I need pointers on cutting an inside thread. I am trying to make
              > a face plate From an old subaru hub. I have the hub chucked in a
              > three jaw, faced of for the register, bored to 1.420". I have only
              > a lantern tool post and a few hss bits. Any suggestions for a
              > cutting bit. Don

              Have a look at
              https://picasaweb.google.com/117189706757545167023/Threading?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJmEy7Hgrsfjdw&feat=directlink

              Yours,
              David

              --
              David Beierl -- dbeierl@...
            • Donald Lewis
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 5, 2013
                Thanks David that will keep me busy for the rest of tonight. Don

                > I need pointers on cutting an inside thread. I am trying to make
                > a face plate From an old subaru hub. I have the hub chucked in a
                > three jaw, faced of for the register, bored to 1.420". I have only
                > a lantern tool post and a few hss bits. Any suggestions for a
                > cutting bit. Don

                Have a look at
                https://picasaweb.google.com/117189706757545167023/Threading?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJmEy7Hgrsfjdw&feat=directlink

                Yours,
                David

                --
                David Beierl -- dbeierl@...

              • jtiers
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 5, 2013

                  You can grind an inside threading tool from a regular cutter blank, although it is a fair bit of grinding, and it is limited in the depth it will handle.   But you may have a blank around now, as opposed to ordering stuff.  I have a couple of them.

                  A standard boring bar that takes short pieces of HSS cutter stock will do fine, you grind the short piece to a 60 deg angle with relief for the thread cutting.

                  JT

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 6, 2013
                    Don
                    Just e-mail David and give him a idea of what you need. He will get back to you. As far as i know he does not have a website. David send me a ccatalog He is a retired man that was a buyer i believe for a big company. He said to me that he can offer tooling cheaper as e-bay does. I bought magnetic Dro's for my mill from him and some other mmeasuring
                    devices and some tooling

                    GP

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 6, 2013
                      Jt
                      This member needs tooling let him buy some. Cutter blank is round. Most boaring bars use square tool bits.
                      I have made boaring bars and used cutter blank ( round )

                      GP

[...]

                    • John Cibulskis
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 6, 2013
                        Don:
                        YouTube, has allot of very good videos, from beginner's, to professional .you can get allot of useful visual demonstrations, that for sure will help you get going.
                        John c

                        Sent from Samsung tablet
                      • Don Wilson
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 6, 2013
                          Check this out I made one and it worked perfect

                          http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=3523.0

                          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, <jerdal@...> wrote:

                          > You can grind an inside threading tool from a regular cutter blank, although it is a fair bit of grinding, and it is limited in the depth it will handle. But you may have a blank around now, as opposed to ordering stuff. I have a couple of them.
                          >
                          > A standard boring bar that takes short pieces of HSS cutter stock will do fine, you grind the short piece to a 60 deg angle with relief for the thread cutting.
                          >
                          > JT

                        • Rick Sparber
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 6, 2013
                            Don,

                            Elegant solution!

                            Thanks,

                            Rick

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 6, 2013
                              don ...nice idea.....have� not� seen� the� double� cuttng� edge before ....shud be� great for�OD & �large� ID, .......for� small� ID , i use a 1.4 in� boring� bar� or one of� several grond� lathe� bits i keep� handy ...
                              FWIW .i have a� few comments , most� of� them� learned� the� hard� way�utilizing �a large scrap pile� over the� last� 60 yrs .......by having the� cutting� edge below center , there� is� built in� clearance , as� you knew� although the� machinist� you talked to apparantly� did not
                              �� i wud recommend heating the� tool in a� drill press circa 200 rpm ...heat� is� even�� this� way� &� when� you quench�, just� raise� up the� can of� whatever you are quenching with .ATF ,sae 10 or whatever� light� oil if� using� w-1 drill rod.........this� way� the quench� is� even & warpage� is� minimal ,(neck�is� where it is� more likely� & more� devastating ...i keep a� "bananna " reamer� around to� remind� me�....�particularly�� inportant� for� quenching� reamers , but� valuable� for� all )...of course if� you desire to� harden� the� shank as� well, , not sure� why , but this�obviously �cannot� be� done......
                              �easier to see the� color� desired in a dull light ....everyones� eyes are� different� but� cooked� carrots� is abt� right� for� me .......also� if you� have� a 3rd� hand , the steel becomes� non magnetic� at� the� critical� quenching� temp ......
                              �� if� using� 0-1 which i prefer , i wud� draw the� temper� at� abt� 375 in� the� kitchen� oven�for�i hour , or if� w-1 , i wud� do the� same� only at abt circa 415 ....drawing to a� blue� is� way� too soft ( spring steel )...look for a� straw color &� quench in� brine ..less chance of� cracking� at� the neck ........possibly� if� your� tool had been drawn , it� may� not have� droken� off,,,,,,,properly�� drawn , a� file� will still not� bite ,......& it�will be� way less subject to� breakage ...
                              �best� wishes
                              doc.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 6, 2013

                                Round?

                                Not in my world.....  lathe cutter blanks are square....  3/16", 1/4", 5/16", etc, etc....  And the boring bars *we* would typically be using take the smaller sizes. (I do have some bars up to 1.5" diameter, but they don't get used at home).   Larger sized blanks can be ground to be good inside threading tools.  If you want, I can show pictures...   (I DO also have some boring bar carbide cutters that are round with flats for the screw, but  oddly, no bars with round holes)

                                As for the OP buying tools, sure, why not?    I find it faster to buy what I need to do the work rather than making tools in many cases.  In other cases, I DO make the tools and then do the work.

                                However, I see too many folks who wait for money to buy what they could make now, never considering that it may be makeable fairly quickly and easily, often at substantially lower cost than buying.

                                It happens that boring bars of the inserted cutter type are a pain to make, unless you DO use round cutter inserts, because the square holes for typical lathe cutter stock are a nuisance to do.   But grinding a threading tool from a cutter blank is not so difficult, and can generally be all done and being used days before any order would arrive.

                                Just as the OP prefers.  Make, order, whatever.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 6, 2013
                                  The threading tool tool ends up similar to a commercial Criterion or Bokum
                                  boring bar. If you keep the "stem" as large as possible, it is stiffer,
                                  naturally.

                                  Aside from being non-HSS, it should work fine, and you get lots of
                                  re-sharpenings from it.

                                  JT

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 6, 2013
                                    Probably for milling machine boring heads.  Or for the QCTP boring tool holders.

                                    In a message dated 8/6/2013 9:10:57 PM Central Daylight Time, jerdal@... writes:
                                    (I DO also have some boring bar carbide cutters that are round with flats for the screw, but  oddly, no bars with round holes)

                                    Robert Downs - Houston
                                  • Guenther Paul
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 7, 2013
                                      JT
                                      In the professional machine world if one refers to cutter blank  one refers to round. Square cutter blank as you call it is refered to as a tool bit

                                      GP

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 7, 2013

                                        I like your pointed use of the word "professional".......as opposed to "amateur bunglers"......which probably means the rest of us who are not you.....  But you may find that word usage actually varies among "professionals" depending on where you are.

                                        Yes, "cutter" is, at least among folks who live "up east", usually a "milling cutter"..... 'taint always so elsewhere.

                                        A "professional" (or an amateur bungler) would call the unground piece a "blank", and the term "tool bit" would be a "blank" that has been ground into some presumably useful shape which has a cutting edge.   Although I have seen an unground (but reasonably sharp) new blank used for roughing on a very large lathe.

[...]

                                      • Carl Hollopeter
                                        Message 20 of 24 , Aug 7, 2013
                                          Don,
                                              That should work, however IMO you have way too much of the bit sticking out of the boring bar. Can’t tell from your photos but hopefully you can loosen your clamp bolt and slide it back till “just enough” sticks out to cut your threads. You will want to keep everything as short and stout as possible to increase rigidity. Also take very small cuts. Good Luck! (Practice on some scrap first)
                                          Carl H

                                          Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 10:37 AM
                                          Subject: Re: [atlas_craftsman] cutting inside thread [3 Attachments]