Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: L5-152 guard cover

  • jerry Herrera
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 5, 2013
    did it look like tis.

    From: atoolnut2 <Atoolnut2@...>
    To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Monday, August 5, 2013 2:22 PM
    Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: L5-152 guard cover

    I just sent you a separate email with a picture of my own which I will put on sale this week. Let me know if interested. The # L5-152 as shown in drawings I see online is backwards along with the gear door, unless there is such a thing as a lathe with a rear mounted lead screw.

    Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2013
      That's true.  In the Craftsman illustrated parts list for 101.07403, 101.27430 and 101.27440 the L5-32A Guard and L5-152 Inner Guard are drawn flipped left to right.

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jerryH" <jerster1959@...> wrote:

      >Im not having any luck finding one so I think Ill have to make one temp till I find one. can anybody take pictures fo thiers. and give me the thickness of one. pictures showing attachements and where to door cover latches to. thanks guys.

      Robert Downs - Houston
    • Scott Henion
      Message 3 of 11 , Aug 5, 2013
        On 8/5/2013 4:16 PM, jerryH wrote:
        > Im not having any luck finding one so I think Ill have to make one temp till I find one. can anybody take pictures fo thiers. and give me the thickness of one. pictures showing attachements and where to door cover latches to. thanks guys.

        Others have sent pics. I measured mine and the thickness is 0.213"
        including the paint.

        Scott G. Henion
        Craftsman 12x36 lathe: http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
        Welding pages and homemade welder: http://shdesigns.org/Welding
      • jerryH
        Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7, 2013
          Thanks to everyone on the guard. Eggleston helped me find one. What is the perferd gear oil for the gears. I found way oilfor the ways. Do you guys use it for the lead screws and plain bearings like the back gear bearings? what oil do you use for the chamge gears?
        • jerryH
          Message 5 of 11 , Aug 7, 2013
            Message 6 of 11 , Aug 7, 2013
              On 8/7/2013 9:30 AM, jerryH wrote:
              > Thanks to everyone on the guard. Eggleston helped me find one. What is the perferd gear oil for the gears. I found way oilfor the ways. Do you guys use it for the lead screws and plain bearings like the back gear bearings? what oil do you use for the chamge gears?

              I use way oil for anything that slides, the cross and compound slides,
              the ways and feed screws. I use spindle oil for the bearings. I picked
              up Mobil way and spindle oil off ebay as at the time it was the only way
              to get less than a gallon at a time.

              As for gear oil, everyone seems to have their own preference. Some like
              oil/STP treatment mix. Others things like lubraplate.

              The chainsaw bar and chain oil works for me and is cheap. The it works
              best for me as it is easiest to clean up the gears as it will wipe off
              with a rag. It drips off some but that is because I tend to use a bit
              much (oil bottle has a rather large hole.)

              My second choice is automotive gear oil.

              Message 7 of 11 , Aug 7, 2013
                I have some differential gear oil would that be OK.

                Message 8 of 11 , Aug 7, 2013
                  On 8/7/2013 10:00 AM, jerry Herrera wrote:
                  I have some differential gear oil would that be OK.

                  That will work. Heck, just about anything will work. ;)

                  I tried half a dozen different things. Some got gooey and hard to clean off without solvents. Lithium grease ran the quietest but again a mess. Way oil was just too thin (gears were noisy.)

                  Try it, see what you like. Nearly any modern oil will exceed the oils that were originally specified for these lathes.

                  The main thing is to keep the lathe well oiled.