Fw: Rattlesnake Logic

  • Chris and Judy Zahnle
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2013

      Rattlesnake Logic

      “If you always do what you always did, you'll always be what you always were.” (Something to think about.)

      After the Boston bombing the news media has spent days and weeks trying to determine why these men did what they did. They want to know what America did to make these brothers so angry with us. They want to know why these men were not arrested before they did something so terrible. The media is in a tizzy about this new era of home-grown radicals, and about why they could live among us and still hate us.

      A friend of mine from Texas explained it all to me:

      Here in west Texas I have rattlesnakes on my place, living among us.  I have killed a rattlesnake on the front porch.  I have killed a rattlesnake on the back porch.  I have killed rattlesnakes in the barn, in the shop and on the driveway.  In fact, I kill every rattlesnake I encounter.

      I kill rattlesnakes because I know a rattlesnake will bite me and inject me with poison.  I don’t stop to wonder why a rattlesnake will bite me; I know: It will bite me because it's a rattlesnake and that's what rattlesnakes do.  I don’t try to reason with a rattlesnake…I just kill it.

      I don’t try to get to know the rattlesnake better so I can find a way to live with the rattlesnakes and convince them not to bite me…I just kill them.  I don’t quiz a rattlesnake to see if I can find out where the other snakes are, because (a) it won’t tell me, and (b) I already know they live on my place.  So, I just kill the rattlesnake and move on to the next one.

      I don’t look for ways I might be able to change the rattlesnake to a non-poisonous rat snake...I just kill it.  Oh, and on occasion, I accidentally kill a rat snake because I thought it was a rattlesnake at the time.  Also, I know, for every rattlesnake I kill, two more are lurking out there in the brush.  In my lifetime I will never be able to rid my place of rattlesnakes.  Do I fear them?  No!

      Do I respect what they can do to me?  Yes!  And because of that respect I give them the fair justice they deserve...I kill them.”

      Maybe as a country we should start giving more thought to the fact that these jihadists' are just being like rattlesnakes, and act accordingly.

      In God We Trust!

      "I love this country -- it's the government I'm afraid of."

      No virus found in this message.

    • Bruce .
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
        Methinks Texans aren't real good at distinguishing people from rattlesnakes.  Judging by Texas politics, maybe that's understandable.  Of course, I hate to judge anyone by their politicians, even Texans.

        These oversimplified political diatribes are relished by the person who doesn't like to make use of his cerebral cortex.  "Think," in other words.

        Myself, I prefer to make the distinction between people and rattlesnakes.  The ones with two legs, two arms, and (usually) a cerebral cortex -- those are people.  The cerebral cortex is the key.  People have one, but rattlesnakes don't.  If you have one but won't use it, methinks that puts you into the latter camp.

        That sort of non-thinking gives rise to stand-your-ground laws and the like, which, of course, only apply if you're white.  My favorite was the Texas law that allowed a man to shoot a man he found in bed with his wife -- never mind that the wife invited the guy there.  That law did NOT allow a woman to shoot a woman if she found her in bed with her husband.  I guess the legislators didn't trust their wives' aim..

        Anytime you come up with a "litmus test" to distinguish those who will harm us from those who won't -- let us know.  Remember too -- the Oklahoma City bomber was no jihadist....

        And, BTW, methinks this discussion does not belong on this forum.  I replied because I just hate letting Tea Party reactionaries get in their licks without giving back a little.

        On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Chris and Judy Zahnle <chrisandjudy@...> wrote:

        Rattlesnake Logic

        <snip>

        --
        Bruce
        NJ
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
          Bruce
          Well thought out reply. Too much of today's rhetoric has 0 thought behind it
          As a young man I went door to door campaigning for Barry Goldwater   I remain proud of that effort. Problem is my party has been hijacked by the off the wall gang
          Jerry
          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • sapperd06
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
            Moderates, how far are you going to let this BS go
            DWP

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Adair <fntnpn2@...> wrote:

            > Bruce
            > Well thought out reply. Too much of today's rhetoric has 0 thought behind it
            > As a young man I went door to door campaigning for Barry Goldwater I remain proud of that effort. Problem is my party has been hijacked by the off the wall gang
            > Jerry
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Aug 5, 2013, at 5:30 AM, "Bruce ." <freemab222@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Methinks Texans aren't real good at distinguishing people from rattlesnakes. Judging by Texas politics, maybe that's understandable. Of course, I hate to judge anyone by their politicians, even Texans.
            > >
            > > These oversimplified political diatribes are relished by the person who doesn't like to make use of his cerebral cortex. "Think," in other words.
            > >
            > > Myself, I prefer to make the distinction between people and rattlesnakes. The ones with two legs, two arms, and (usually) a cerebral cortex -- those are people. The cerebral cortex is the key. People have one, but rattlesnakes don't. If you have one but won't use it, methinks that puts you into the latter camp.
            > >
            > > That sort of non-thinking gives rise to stand-your-ground laws and the like, which, of course, only apply if you're white. My favorite was the Texas law that allowed a man to shoot a man he found in bed with his wife -- never mind that the wife invited the guy there. That law did NOT allow a woman to shoot a woman if she found her in bed with her husband. I guess the legislators didn't trust their wives' aim..
            > >
            > > Anytime you come up with a "litmus test" to distinguish those who will harm us from those who won't -- let us know. Remember too -- the Oklahoma City bomber was no jihadist....
            > >
            > > And, BTW, methinks this discussion does not belong on this forum. I replied because I just hate letting Tea Party reactionaries get in their licks without giving back a little.
            > >

            > > On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Chris and Judy Zahnle <chrisandjudy@...> wrote:
            > >>

            > >> Rattlesnake Logic
            > >
            > > <snip>
            > >
            > > --
            > > Bruce
            > > NJ

          • T Burton
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
              I think you meant "moderators".  I'm not a moderator but I'd like to think I'm moderate.

              --- In mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com, Jerry Adair <fntnpn2@...> wrote:

              > Bruce
              > Well thought out reply. Too much of today's rhetoric has 0 thought behind it
              > As a young man I went door to door campaigning for Barry Goldwater I remain proud of that effort. Problem is my party has been hijacked by the off the wall gang
              > Jerry
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Aug 5, 2013, at 5:30 AM, "Bruce ." <freemab222@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Methinks Texans aren't real good at distinguishing people from rattlesnakes. Judging by Texas politics, maybe that's understandable. Of course, I hate to judge anyone by their politicians, even Texans.
              > >
              > > These oversimplified political diatribes are relished by the person who doesn't like to make use of his cerebral cortex. "Think," in other words.
              > >
              > > Myself, I prefer to make the distinction between people and rattlesnakes. The ones with two legs, two arms, and (usually) a cerebral cortex -- those are people. The cerebral cortex is the key. People have one, but rattlesnakes don't. If you have one but won't use it, methinks that puts you into the latter camp.
              > >
              > > That sort of non-thinking gives rise to stand-your-ground laws and the like, which, of course, only apply if you're white. My favorite was the Texas law that allowed a man to shoot a man he found in bed with his wife -- never mind that the wife invited the guy there. That law did NOT allow a woman to shoot a woman if she found her in bed with her husband. I guess the legislators didn't trust their wives' aim..
              > >
              > > Anytime you come up with a "litmus test" to distinguish those who will harm us from those who won't -- let us know. Remember too -- the Oklahoma City bomber was no jihadist....
              > >
              > > And, BTW, methinks this discussion does not belong on this forum. I replied because I just hate letting Tea Party reactionaries get in their licks without giving back a little.
              > >

              > > On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Chris and Judy Zahnle <chrisandjudy@...> wrote:
              > >>

              > >> Rattlesnake Logic
              > >
              > > <snip>
              > >
              > > --
              > > Bruce
              > > NJ

            • sapperd06
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
                Someone please stop it. I don't like the racism that Bruce is extending to this group, it DOES OFFEND ME, and he should be banned for life from this group.
                DWP

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
                  The original post was made to this list in error and the sender has been contacted.  I am in the middle of taking care of my mother-in-law's funeral and financial arrangements and the list owner happens to be on vacation this week.  After I send this I have to drive to San Antonio and will not be back up for at least several hours.  I fully expect that when I get email access again, there will not have been any more replies or comments from either side of the aisle.  If my expectations aren't rewarded, someone is going to be unhappy.  There will be no further warnings.

                  Robert Downs
                  Moderator

                  In a message dated 08/05/2013 12:29:02 PM Central Daylight Time, tburton62000@... writes:
                  I think you meant "moderators".  I'm not a moderator but I'd like to think I'm moderate.

                • jo barden
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
                    what has this to do with lathes?

                    I have deleted other dross.

                    lets get back to machining, politics, religion, sex and personal finances have nothing to do with "playing" with my lathe as my wife calls it.

                    Jon
                    G6UWK
                  • Doc
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
                       Bruce
                          the liberal  left politically correct garbage  that  you are  vomiting out  is infinitely more  dangerous  than  the rattlesnake  venom .......and  left unchecked will lead to  the  destruction of this  democracy  as  we  have  known it ...with  your  obvious " better  educated  than  thou " bias  ant self anointed  superior  cortex , you  may  want  to  revisit  the  first  paragraph  where you  "hate  to  do " what you actually  did do w/ your  pejorative  comments abt texans
                            the  fact  that  you found it  necessary  to explain  the cortical function  is  further  evidence  of  your superior  opinion  of  yourself  & your elevated  status  of the  posessor  of everything politically  correct & therefore empirically  correct
                          the last  time  i looked ,  the  stand your  ground  law applied  equally  to  white & black ...your characterization of it as  only  applies to whites  is the typical leftist  palaver   .i would  have  expected  more  from such  an  elevated  cerebral  cortex  as  you apparantly  are  the  posessor  of ........when  all else fails  & you have a paucity  of arguments , inject racism ....it  is  tried &  true ploy  of the   left & has been consistently applied  to keep the  black  man controlled  politically , & provide an excuse  for continued subsidy which emasculates & demeans the  very  manhood  of those  on the  reeciving  end
                          when the law  requires  a  man  to retreat  from verbal & physical assault w/ out there  being  a  consequence  to  such  , it  merely engenders  more of  the  same ....Elmer keith wrote  that  in the  early 19 th  C. in  montana evryone  carried a pistol as a  necessity ..he  stated that  it  was th e politest  town  he  was  ever  in ...no  one  wanted  to  risk being  shot  because he  bumped into  some one on the  street ...it was  always "excuse  me  sir"......todays  current  lack  of  civility  in the  larger  eastern &   far  western  areas  are a direct  result of  noack of consequenc  for ones actions
                          and how commonly  mundane  ,,,after  spewing  your  vitriole  , you announce that  this  is  not the  place  for political  conversation , so as  to not  permit  rebuttal to the  predictably  short  sighted
                      emminations  form  your  "cortex"
                          "bless your  little  heart"
                            doc

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
                        In trying to keep it simple.
                        I believe no matter the user or group. It's a fine line we all walk whist trying to maintain
                        the focus on the matter at hand and also coming across as "one of the group"
                        because Im sure at one time or another we all have had our run ins with flaming or flamers.

                        imho this is an issue for the MOD.... not for the users. directly or indirectly

                        you know what they say about pigs? never get into a fight with one... their already dirty...

                        Let the MOD do their job.

                        now lets get back to cutting fat chips. :)

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 5, 2013
                            My condolences to you and your family. Sorry for your loss and all the unpleasant tasks before you.

                            Kris
                          • Guenther Paul
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
                              If some one has a problem with group members not helping then let him or her go. I did not follow this bull thread real good but i think its time to stop and concentrate on what we are here for.
                              Religion or politics don't belong here or any comments on a negative side.
                              I think it is time for JON to step in.

                              GP

                              Leaving the Group. There is no excuse for this.

                              --- In mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com, Doc <n8as1@...> wrote:

                              > Bruce
                              > the liberal left politically correct garbage that you are vomiting out is infinitely more dangerous than the rattlesnake venom .......and left unchecked will lead to the destruction of this democracy as we have known it ...with your obvious " better educated than thou " bias ant self anointed superior cortex , you may want to revisit the first paragraph where you "hate to do " what you actually did do w/ your pejorative comments abt texans
                              > the fact that you found it necessary to explain the cortical function is further evidence of your superior opinion of yourself & your elevated status of the posessor of everything politically correct & therefore empirically correct
                              > the last time i looked , the stand your ground law applied equally to white & black ...your characterization of it as only applies to whites is the typical leftist palaver .i would have expected more from such an elevated cerebral cortex as you apparantly are the posessor of ........when all else fails & you have a paucity of arguments , inject racism ....it is tried & true ploy of the left & has been consistently applied to keep the black man controlled politically , & provide an excuse for continued subsidy which emasculates & demeans the very manhood of those on the reeciving end
                              > when the law requires a man to retreat from verbal & physical assault w/ out there being a consequence to such , it merely engenders more of the same ....Elmer keith wrote that in the early 19 th C. in montana evryone carried a pistol as a necessity ..he stated that it was th e politest town he was ever in ...no one wanted to risk being shot because he bumped into some one on the street ...it was always "excuse me sir"......todays current lack of civility in the larger eastern & far western areas are a direct result of noack of consequenc for ones actions
                              > and how commonly mundane ,,,after spewing your vitriole , you announce that this is not the place for political conversation , so as to not permit rebuttal to the predictably short sighted
                              > emminations form your "cortex"
                              > "bless your little heart"
                              > doc

                            • Ken Harrington
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 6, 2013
                                I just want to say that I truely appreciate Doc's posts and insights, wheather it's cutting a chip or dealing with a burr. He always has great advice, Thanks Doc, Ken