cross slide screw on the saddle removal

  • jerster1959
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2013
      hi again. the crossslide screw on the saddle. i want to remove the assembly to polish and or rechrome the handle along with the indicator. how does it removed? the part close to the saddle has three hole that look like a spanner wrench attaches and maby spinds off. is it threaded on? or do I push it toward the apron to remove.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2013
        You didn't say what model you have but if all that you want to remove is the crank and dial:

        Remove smaller nut on end of screw.
        Slide off crank.
        Remove Woodruff key.
        Remove shakeproof washer (if present) and larger nut.
        Slide off dial, bushing and (if present) flat washer.

        If you want to remove the screw, before doing the above crank the cross slide all the way to the rear and remove it from the saddle.  I would first remove the compound to reduce weight but you don't have to.

        Then do the first five steps

        The fiduciary/front bearing screws into the saddle.  Remove with a pin spanner if you actually need to.  In either case, remove the screw and (if present) gear.

        When you reinstall, you adjust the end float of the feed screw by adjusting the larger nut against the dial, tightening the smaller nut, and checking.  If too loose or tight, loosen the smaller nut, adjust the larger nut slightly, re-tighten the smaler nut and recheck until you have it to your satisfaction.

        Same basic procedure applies to the tailstock (except no dial and bushing unless you added one) and to the compound except that the fiduciary/bearing plate is attached with two screws.

        Note that some of the parts drawings do not show the large nut and some do not show the shakeproof washer.  The nut has to be present.  I don't know about the washer.  Maybe it was a late addition.

        In a message dated 08/01/2013 09:51:21 AM Central Daylight Time, jerster1959@... writes:
        hi again. the crossslide screw on the saddle. i want to remove the assembly to polish and or rechrome the handle along with the indicator. how does it removed? the part close to the saddle has three hole that look like a spanner wrench attaches and maby spinds off. is it threaded on? or do I push it toward the apron to remove.

        Robert Downs - Houston
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2013
          jerster1959 wrote:
          > hi again. the crossslide screw on the saddle. i want to remove the assembly to polish and or rechrome the handle along with the indicator. how does it removed? the part close to the saddle has three hole that look like a spanner wrench attaches and maby spinds off. is it threaded on? or do I push it toward the apron to remove.

          Remove the two nuts in the center of the handle. Loosen the setscrew
          and remove the graduated dial. Remove the slotted screw on the
          top back of the cross slide. Now, the screw/nut assembly will just slide
          out the back of the carriage.

          Jon
        • jerry Herrera
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2013
            I think I have this " fiduciary/front bearing screws into the saddle.  Remove with a pin spanner ". if I use a spanner do I turn it counter clockwise? is it threaded with right hand threads?

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2013
              Sorry, yes.  I meant to go back and add that the threads are right hand.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2013
                thanks...abunch.