Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Help with a taper attachment

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 28 7:09 PM
      Now that I think about it, I took a spare dead center and machined the end to fit the boring head.

      Rick

      On Jul 28, 2013, at 7:04 PM, "David Hair" <thehairs@...> wrote:

      Oh well My boring head is R-8 and the smallest MT is a 3 so it won't fit my tail stock, but looking at it I may well be able to machine a tail stock center that works like my boring head. I like the idea of having a screw adjustment.

      Thanks for te idea.
      D.Hair
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 29 9:21 AM
        I have made some very nice MT-0 accessories on my 12x36 Atlas. The MT-0 is short enough that you can just use your compound. You don't need a taper attachment or anything else fancy. Just your lathe.

        The MT-0 is only about 2" long. So if you set it up correctly, you can advance the entire length of it using the compound.

        When I last turn an MT-0, I temporarily chucked up an existing MT-0 in my chuck and supported the right side (end)with a center. Then I adjusted the angle of my compound to exactly match the existing MT-0. It took a few minutes to eventually get it perfectly lined up using a bright light from underneath. I eventually got to the point that I could maintain a roughly 1 or 2 thou space between my tool and the existing MT-0 as I went from one end to the other end. Make sure that you lock down your saddle.

        Alternatively, I could have mounted a dial indicator in my tool post. (You can just about forget about using the scale on the compound though - - you are trying to set the compound to about 1.4908 degrees. The smallest divisions that I can just barely see are in 1 degree steps - - much too coarse to be of much help.) Then I removed the existing "pattern" and put in my part. Also, while you could probably cut the taper w/o a live center in your tailstock, it helps to keep everything lined up and supported. Much less chance that the part will shift in your chuck. When I was done machining, I "colored" the machine surface with a wide "Sharpie" pen and checked the part in a Female MT. I was pleasantly surprised that it made very good and uniform contact. Almost like I knew what I was doing (ha ha).

        If you need to make a larger taper, then you either do it in segments or you offset your tailstock center and use a drive dog. This is covered in the Atlas handbook I believe. Alternatively, I suppose that a person could make a larger taper but just limit the length to the compound feed (which is roughly 2.5 inches?)

        Bruce

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "dhlh1984" <thehairs@...> wrote:

        > OK, I've looked at taper attachments ... I'm wanting to make MT-0 accessories for my Craftsman 109 on my 12" craftsman

      • David Hair
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 29 10:36 AM
          Bruce,
          That is a wonderful idea. The best I've heard yet.

          Thanks
          D.Hair

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 30 11:28 AM
            Tubalcain has a couple of videos discussing cutting tapers, and his third method mentioned is a taper attachment. Though he created his own, I'm sure that the principles are the same. Check it out the first video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTSmyurlDus

            jon