Help with a taper attachment

  • dhlh1984
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013
      OK, I've looked at taper attachments and even plans on how to make my own. What I am looking for is some directions on how to use one. I "ASSUME' its use is all manual. No power feed, but how do you keep from cutting a series of notches down the taper. Is it something you just have to play with to get the feel. Does anyone have a copy of instructions on the setup and use of a taper attachment. I'm wanting to make MT-0 accessories for my Craftsman 109 on my 12" craftsman
    • Scott Henion
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013
        On 7/28/2013 7:29 PM, dhlh1984 wrote:
        > OK, I've looked at taper attachments and even plans on how to make my
        > own. What I am looking for is some directions on how to use one. I
        > "ASSUME' its use is all manual. No power feed, but how do you keep
        > from cutting a series of notches down the taper. Is it something you
        > just have to play with to get the feel. Does anyone have a copy of
        > instructions on the setup and use of a taper attachment. I'm wanting
        > to make MT-0 accessories for my Craftsman 109 on my 12" craftsman

        The taper attachment mounts behind the ways. You disconnect the cross
        feed screw nut and a bar connects from the cross slide to the taper
        attachment. The attachment then drives the cross slide.

        There are several manuals in the files area of the group under:
        Manuals, Atlas or Atlas-Craftsman Lathe Accessories

        Scott G. Henion
        Craftsman 12x36 lathe: http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
        Welding pages and homemade welder: http://shdesigns.org/Welding
      • David Beierl
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013
          At 07:29 PM 7/28/2013, dhlh1984 wrote:
          >directions on how to use one. I "ASSUME' its use is all manual. No
          >power feed, but how do you keep from cutting a series of notches
          >down the taper. Is it something you just have to play with to get
          >the feel. Does anyone have a copy of instructions on the setup and
          >use of a taper attachment. I'm wanting to make MT-0 accessories for my

          To use a taper attachment you disconnect the cross slide leadscrew
          and connect the cross slide instead to the taper attachment. Now the
          cross slide automatically advances into the work as the carriage
          traverses along the bed and the link travels along the bar of the
          taper attachment, with the rate of advance controlled strictly by the
          setting of the bar on the attachment.

          I've never used one but it seems pretty clear that you have to begin
          by making short passes at the deep end of the work, otherwise the
          depth of cut will rapidly become too much as you traverse down the bed.

          Yours,
          David

          --
          David Beierl -- dbeierl@...
        • Lew Tousignant
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013

            You can and should use the power feed when using the taper attachment (TA), it tends to make the cut more uniform. I'd be sure the tool is right on axis and make sure the gib on compound is locked.  Gib on cross slide should be just loose enough to move smoothly with no tool contact over the length of the taper.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013
              David,

              Go to the Group's Files/Manuals....Accessories and download the instruction sheet on the No. 760 Taper Attachment.

              And no, cutter traverse can be under carriage drive power or with the carriage handwheel.  Cutter advance between cutting passes is done with the compound, with it set around to 90 deg.  The cross feed drive (both manual and power) is disconnected while using the taper attachment by removing the brass cross feed nut.  The actuator bar from the taper attachment is connected to the cross slide in its place.

              In a message dated 07/28/2013 18:30:01 PM Central Daylight Time, thehairs@... writes:
              OK, I've looked at taper attachments and even plans on how to make my own. What I am looking for is some directions on how to use one. I "ASSUME' its use is all manual. No power feed, but how do you keep from cutting a series of notches down the taper. Is it something you just have to play with to get the feel. Does anyone have a copy of instructions on the setup and use of a taper attachment. I'm wanting to make MT-0 accessories for my Craftsman 109 on my 12" craftsman

              Robert Downs - Houston
            • dhlh1984
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013
                Does anyone use the small taper attachment that fits in the tail stock. I'm beginning to think that might be the direction I need to go. It sure seems to be a lot simpler. Is there a simple to disconnect the cross slide screw I'm not getting. With the power drive gear and all that It just sound like you are having to do a lot to cut a taper or am I missing something. You have to remember I was a computer tech not a machinist.

                D.Hair
              • Rick Sparber
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013
                  D. Hair,

                  If you have a boring head attachment off of your mill that fits the
                  tailstock, it is a great way to offset the tailstock temporarily and not
                  mess up the alignment. Just turn a dead center that fits in where the boring
                  bar normally goes.

                  Rick

                  Does anyone use the small taper attachment that fits in the tail stock. I'm
                  beginning to think that might be the direction I need to go. It sure seems
                  to be a lot simpler. Is there a simple to disconnect the cross slide screw
                  I'm not getting. With the power drive gear and all that It just sound like
                  you are having to do a lot to cut a taper or am I missing something. You
                  have to remember I was a computer tech not a machinist.

                  D.Hair

                  The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
                  http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                  Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
                  mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
                • dhlh1984
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013
                    Thats a great idea. Thanks

                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

                    > D. Hair,
                    >
                    > If you have a boring head attachment off of your mill that fits the
                    > tailstock, it is a great way to offset the tailstock temporarily and not
                    > mess up the alignment. Just turn a dead center that fits in where the boring
                    > bar normally goes.
                    >
                    > Rick
                  • Rick Sparber
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013
                      I wish I could remember where I found it!

                      Rick

                      On Jul 28, 2013, at 6:35 PM, "dhlh1984" <thehairs@...> wrote:

                      > Thats a great idea. Thanks
                      >
                      > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> D. Hair,
                      >>
                      >> If you have a boring head attachment off of your mill that fits the
                      >> tailstock, it is a great way to offset the tailstock temporarily and not
                      >> mess up the alignment. Just turn a dead center that fits in where the boring
                      >> bar normally goes.
                      >>
                      >> Rick

                      > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                      > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

                    • David Hair
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013
                        Oh well My boring head is R-8 and the smallest MT is a 3 so it won't fit my tail stock, but looking at it I may well be able to machine a tail stock center that works like my boring head. I like the idea of having a screw adjustment.

                        Thanks for te idea.
                        D.Hair

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 28, 2013
                          Now that I think about it, I took a spare dead center and machined the end to fit the boring head.

                          Rick

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 29, 2013
                            I have made some very nice MT-0 accessories on my 12x36 Atlas. The MT-0 is short enough that you can just use your compound. You don't need a taper attachment or anything else fancy. Just your lathe.

                            The MT-0 is only about 2" long. So if you set it up correctly, you can advance the entire length of it using the compound.

                            When I last turn an MT-0, I temporarily chucked up an existing MT-0 in my chuck and supported the right side (end)with a center. Then I adjusted the angle of my compound to exactly match the existing MT-0. It took a few minutes to eventually get it perfectly lined up using a bright light from underneath. I eventually got to the point that I could maintain a roughly 1 or 2 thou space between my tool and the existing MT-0 as I went from one end to the other end. Make sure that you lock down your saddle.

                            Alternatively, I could have mounted a dial indicator in my tool post. (You can just about forget about using the scale on the compound though - - you are trying to set the compound to about 1.4908 degrees. The smallest divisions that I can just barely see are in 1 degree steps - - much too coarse to be of much help.) Then I removed the existing "pattern" and put in my part. Also, while you could probably cut the taper w/o a live center in your tailstock, it helps to keep everything lined up and supported. Much less chance that the part will shift in your chuck. When I was done machining, I "colored" the machine surface with a wide "Sharpie" pen and checked the part in a Female MT. I was pleasantly surprised that it made very good and uniform contact. Almost like I knew what I was doing (ha ha).

                            If you need to make a larger taper, then you either do it in segments or you offset your tailstock center and use a drive dog. This is covered in the Atlas handbook I believe. Alternatively, I suppose that a person could make a larger taper but just limit the length to the compound feed (which is roughly 2.5 inches?)

                            Bruce

                            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "dhlh1984" <thehairs@...> wrote:

                            > OK, I've looked at taper attachments ... I'm wanting to make MT-0 accessories for my Craftsman 109 on my 12" craftsman

                          • David Hair
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 29, 2013
                              Bruce,
                              That is a wonderful idea. The best I've heard yet.

                              Thanks
                              D.Hair

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 30, 2013
                                Tubalcain has a couple of videos discussing cutting tapers, and his third method mentioned is a taper attachment. Though he created his own, I'm sure that the principles are the same. Check it out the first video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTSmyurlDus

                                jon