Re: [atlas_craftsman] Timkin bearing recess

  • jerry Herrera
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 24, 2013
      On the subject of the bearing grades. As im looking for bearings I have noticed some bearings have #3 next to them. Is this the grade? I have found bearings but I heard that a example TIMKIN 16150 could also be a bearing for a car. Is there another way to make sure I purchase a bearing for a machine and not a car.

      ------------------------------

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 24, 2013
        The term used with tapered roller bearings is "Class" rather than "Grade".  But the connotation is the same.

        ANSI recognizes, from coarse to fine, or from not so good to much better, Classes 4, 2, 3, 0 and 00.  Timken currently shows 3, 0, 00 and 000 which they actually call C, B, A and AA.  Grossly oversimplifying the ANSI tables, for tapered roller bearings up to and including 12" diameter, the radial runout limits (which happen to be the main thing that we would be concerned with) versus class are:

        4   .0020"
        2   .0015"
        3   .0003"
        0   .00015"
        00 .000075"

        Note that either 4 or 2 would be OK for light car wheel bearings so I would assume that at least non-Timken bearings bought from an auto parts chain store would be one of those.

        Go to

        http://www.timken.com/en-us/solutions/machinetools/Pages/BearingPrecisionLevels.aspx

        for the only chart I've been able to locate on the Timken site showing precision levels and what the various ones are suitable for.  I have no idea how this chart compares to what would have been available back in 1935 or so when Atlas first offered lathes with Timken bearings.

        This chart lists Class C or 3 as suitable for conventional lathes and milling machines.

        I have not been able to confirm so far that Timken ships nothing today worse than Class 3.  I have a contact that I might be able to get an answer from in a few days.

        If you really want the ANSI/ABEC (for radial ball bearings and some other types) and ANSI/ABMA (for tapered roller bearings) standards they will cost you about $100.00 for a download.

        Robert D.

        In a message dated 07/24/2013 17:32:19 PM Central Daylight Time, jerster1959@... writes:
        On the subject of the bearing grades. As im looking for bearings I have noticed some bearings have #3 next to them. Is this the grade? I have found bearings but I heard that a example TIMKIN 16150 could also be a bearing for a car. Is there another way to make sure I purchase a bearing for a machine and not a car.

        ------------------------------
        On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 4:58 PM PDT wa5cab@... wrote:

        >Rowe &Co., INC, Johnsonburg, NJ, sold me a set of spindle bearings (two
        >cups &two cones) for $132.05 total.  I did some checking and they are genuine
        >Timken, actually shipped out of the plant in TN.  However, I have not used
        >them yet as after I bought them, I got into some discussions about tapered
        >roller bearing grades.  And haven't yet been able to determine what grade
        >these are.
        >
        >On another subject, as you have the original bearings with the dates out,
        >we need to save that information.  If you will send me the model number (I
        >presume probably 101.07403) and the serial number I'll put the informaition
        >into the database.  We have nearly 300  entries but 95% either have no dates,
        >no serial numbers, or both.  And some of the dates that are there are either
        >suspect or obviously wrong.
        >
        >Robert Downs - Houston
        >wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
        >MVPA 9480

        Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 24, 2013
          Can you point me to an example or two showing the "3"?

          Robert D.

          In a message dated 07/24/2013 17:32:19 PM Central Daylight Time, jerster1959@... writes:
          On the subject of the bearing grades. As im looking for bearings I have noticed some bearings have #3 next to them. Is this the grade? I have found bearings but I heard that a example TIMKIN 16150 could also be a bearing for a car. Is there another way to make sure I purchase a bearing for a machine and not a car.

          ------------------------------
          On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 4:58 PM PDT wa5cab@... wrote:

          >Rowe &Co., INC, Johnsonburg, NJ, sold me a set of spindle bearings (two
          >cups &two cones) for $132.05 total.  I did some checking and they are genuine
          >Timken, actually shipped out of the plant in TN.  However, I have not used
          >them yet as after I bought them, I got into some discussions about tapered
          >roller bearing grades.  And haven't yet been able to determine what grade
          >these are.
          >
          >On another subject, as you have the original bearings with the dates out,
          >we need to save that information.  If you will send me the model number (I
          >presume probably 101.07403) and the serial number I'll put the informaition
          >into the database.  We have nearly 300  entries but 95% either have no dates,
          >no serial numbers, or both.  And some of the dates that are there are either
          >suspect or obviously wrong.
          >
          >Robert Downs - Houston
          >wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
          >MVPA 9480

        • jerry Herrera
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 25, 2013
            good to know thanks.

> [...]

            On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 4:58 PM PDT wa5cab@... wrote:

            >Rowe &Co., INC, Johnsonburg, NJ, sold me a set of spindle bearings (two
            >cups &two cones) for $132.05 total.  I did some checking and they are genuine
            >Timken, actually shipped out of the plant in TN.  However, I have not used
            >them yet as after I bought them, I got into some discussions about tapered
            >roller bearing grades.  And haven't yet been able to determine what grade
            >these are.
            >
            >On another subject, as you have the original bearings with the dates out,
            >we need to save that information.  If you will send me the model number (I
            >presume probably 101.07403) and the serial number I'll put the informaition
            >into the database.  We have nearly 300  entries but 95% either have no dates,
            >no serial numbers, or both.  And some of the dates that are there are either

            Robert & Susan Downs - Houston