Re: [atlas_craftsman] Purpose of set screws in bull gear

  • Po'Boy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
      Thanks to Scott, Robert, and Dennes for the quick replies.  The explanations you supplied got it all sorted.  I really appreciate it.

      On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Dennes Forsmo <omsrof@...> wrote:

      Hi ,

      I have a 6x30 101.07310

      on my lathe the spring and ball are used to hold the plunger in the in or out position with respect to the 4 step pulley

      If your lathe has a backgear-- look to see if one of the 2 screws lines up in the bull gear with a pin partway out on the face of the bull gear toward the spindle nose.

      If it does-- the spring may be to push the ball into a detent on a plunger that engages the bull gear with the 4 step pulley when using direct drive ( ( ie - not using the back gear reduction).

      The ball and detent in plunger  are to hold plunger  in the in or out position for direct drive or use of back gear.

      Hope this helps

      Dennes Forsmo

      On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Scott Henion <shenion@...> wrote:

      On 7/21/2013 11:18 AM, wa4fvt wrote:
      > I noticed that the bull gear has two set screws that are 180 degrees apart (or thereabouts) and one is a slot-head and one a socket-head. The socket-head has a spring behind it. From some diagrams I've found, there MAY a small ball behind that, but I didn't rotate the gear to get it out. I put a few drops of oil in each hole and replaced the set screws.
      > My searches on the forum and in the various documents I've found, however, haven't found the answer to my question: What is the purpose of these set screws and what kind of service do they need?

      The one near the hub keeps the gear from moving along the spindle length
      (a key keeps it from turning.) No oil is needed there.

      The other one I can think of holds the ball and spring for the pin that
      locks the spindle pulley to the bull gear.

      Scott G. Henion
      Craftsman 12x36 lathe: http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
      Welding pages and homemade welder: http://shdesigns.org/Welding