Re: [atlas_craftsman] Questions about the late model Craftsman 12"

  • Dennes Forsmo
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 20, 2013
    Thanks,

    I have a line on a 12x36 101.28910 .

    The 1st attachment is for a 28910

    the 2nd 2 attachments are comments from a knowledgeable guy on the Atlas_Craftsman yahoo group
    the 4th attachment is for other Craftsman 12 lathes

    the link here is from a uk website

    Hope this helps

    for my interest-- what are you paying for it?

    Thanks,

    Dennes Forsmo

    On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM, dhlh1984 <thehairs@...> wrote:

    For those of you that own the late model Craftsman (1980-ist)12"x36" lathe that has the back counter shaft instead of the cabinet model please tell me anything you don't like, anything you feel is a short coming or any inherit problems in the machine. I won't mind hearing the good things about the lathe also, but I'm going to buy one Monday and I need to know things I need to look for. I've read all the old post and know things to look for have been posted, But I'm old to and don't have time to look through a million post in this short time.

    What I have been told is this machine was used in a small engine shop for a while. It has a QCGB, a 4 jaw 6" chuck standard lantern tool post and the table it's mounted on. The model number tag is missing. It looks just like a 101.28910 with the exception I think it's a little longer between centers.

    Please help as I'm laying out more than I really can afford for this lathe and I want to make sure I at least get a decent deal.

    Thanks
    D.Hair

  • Rexarino
    Message 2 of 11 , Jul 20, 2013
      Check the countershaft and pulleys to make sure they aren't bent, or at least that you don't pay for something that will cause vibration and poor finish cuts.  As for all lathes, look for wear on the ways and cross slide/compound slide and slop anywhere.  The half nuts are zinc and wear quickly.  The bed can sag in the middle, lay a straightedge lengthwise and look for light between the blade and bed.  In a shop, it's likely the headstock bearings weren't oiled properly, slack the belts and turn the spindle while feeling for roughness or "lumps".

      Rex Bosse
      Portland, Oregon

      On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM, dhlh1984 <thehairs@...> wrote:
[...]

      The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
      Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          atlas_craftsman-digest@yahoogroups.com
          atlas_craftsman-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • dhlh1984
      Message 3 of 11 , Jul 20, 2013
        Dennes,

        Thank you for the wealth of information. Thank you Robert also.

        D.Hair
      • dhlh1984
        Message 4 of 11 , Jul 20, 2013
          Rex,

          Thank you for those pointers. I will be sure to check. Lack of proper oiling is one thing that concerned me. From the pictures I've seen it doesn't look like the lathe saw much use. If it isn't in original paint there seems(from the photo's) to be very little waer.

          D.Hair

          Message 5 of 11 , Jul 20, 2013
            D.,

            What Rex said.  Except that my 3996 has had a fair amount of use over the 32 years since I bought it and I'm only thinking about whether to replace the half nuts now or wait another year or two.

            If the machine is a 12x36 bench model with QCGB and with a lever instead of a knob to engage the power cross feed, it started life as either a 3986 or a 101.28910.  They were sold from 1967 to early 1974 (the latter was not in the Fall 1974 Sears Big Book).

            When you slack the belts to do the spindle bearings check, pull out the back gear pin (right face of the bull gear)  The spindle should turn without turning the pulley, and vice versa.  This is one area that probably suffers from seldom being lubricated.  If the PO's seldom used the back gears, probably the pulley bushings are still OK but could be stuck or at least stiff.  It isn't as easy to do a proper lube here as you might think.  You squirt a little SAE 20 oil in the hole and pretty quickly the oil comes out the top.  Put the plug back in (which BTW is NOT a set screw even though it looks like one), rotate the pulley a couple of times, remove the plug and repeat several times untill the pulley turns easily and freely.  One other place that probably doesn't get properly lubricated are the back gear bushings.  Below the spindle nose is a round hole cover.  Pull it out and you will uncover a ball oiler.  It is sorta hidden by the chuck.  And it's not easy to get much oil into it.

            While checking the countershaft for straightness, also check the bushings for runout (radial wear).  End float won't cause much trouble but clearance in the bushings can.

            If the bed does have uniform sag between headstock and tailstock, one of the installation bulletins tells how to remedy this.

            Robert Downs - Houston

            Message 6 of 11 , Jul 20, 2013
              dhlh1984 wrote:
              > For those of you that own the late model Craftsman (1980-ist)12"x36" lathe that has the back counter shaft instead of the cabinet model
              The countershaft and pulleys are exposed, and can be damaged when moving
              the lathe. So, check that it spins on both speed ranges without excessive
              vibration. (And, know that almost all of them shake on the high speed
              range.)
              > please tell me anything you don't like, anything you feel is a short coming or any inherit problems in the machine. I won't mind hearing the good things about the lathe also, but I'm going to buy one Monday and I need to know things I need to look for. I've read all the old post and know things to look for have been posted, But I'm old to and don't have time to look through a million post in this short time.
              >
              > What I have been told is this machine was used in a small engine shop for a while. It has a QCGB, a 4 jaw 6" chuck standard lantern tool post and the table it's mounted on. The model number tag is missing. It looks just like a 101.28910 with the exception I think it's a little longer between centers.

              Other than the countershaft, it is a fairly decent lathe, when properly
              set up.
              Make sure the chuck is in good shape, or expect to replace or repair it.
              Look for cracked castings, broken gear teeth, stuff like that. You will
              probably want to get a QC toolpost at some point.

              Jon
            • dhlh1984
              Message 7 of 11 , Jul 21, 2013
                well tomorrow is the day I go look at what I hope turns out to be a good 12" lathe. I have the best 18" straight edge I could find, a mic, my dial indicator and a good flashlight. Hoping this baby checks out and comes home with me. Let you all know tomorrow night. Then I'll be able to get on a little better with my hobby of rebuilding Craftsman 109's

                Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

                David Hair
              • dhlh1984
                Message 8 of 11 , Jul 22, 2013
                  Well, I went and looked at this 12"x36" lathe. It is a late model Craftsman, but not as late as I had hoped for. The model number is 101.28940. I can't find any information on this model. It is ols enough that it has a pull knod for the cross feed. It has a ding or two on the bed and the ram in the tailstock only goes out about 2 1/2 inch befor it runs out of screw. The only really bad problem seems to be a missing tootj on the rack feed sprocket. This weekend we will be cleaning it up a bit and looking at how bad this sproket is and if I can mill out another. If anyone has any info on the 101.26940 or maybe a manual please get in touch with me. I was going to walk away from this lathe, but the qwner cut the price from $900.00 to $550.00 before I could get out of there and at that price I just had to see if I couldn't make a good hobby lathe out of it.

                  D.Hair

                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "dhlh1984" <thehairs@...> wrote:

                  > well tomorrow is the day I go look at what I hope turns out to be a good 12" lathe. I have the best 18" straight edge I could find, a mic, my dial indicator and a good flashlight. Hoping this baby checks out and comes home with me. Let you all know tomorrow night. Then I'll be able to get on a little better with my hobby of rebuilding Craftsman 109's
                  >
                  > Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.
                  >
                  > David Hair

                • dhlh1984
                  Message 9 of 11 , Jul 22, 2013
                    Looking through the files section I just found the manual on the 101.28940

                    Whoever put it there THANKS

                    D.Hair

                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "dhlh1984" <thehairs@...> wrote:

                    > Well, I went and looked at this 12"x36" lathe. It is a late model Craftsman, but not as late as I had hoped for. The model number is 101.28940. I can't find any information on this model. It is ols enough that it has a pull knod for the cross feed. It has a ding or two on the bed and the ram in the tailstock only goes out about 2 1/2 inch befor it runs out of screw. The only really bad problem seems to be a missing tootj on the rack feed sprocket. This weekend we will be cleaning it up a bit and looking at how bad this sproket is and if I can mill out another. If anyone has any info on the 101.26940 or maybe a manual please get in touch with me. I was going to walk away from this lathe, but the qwner cut the price from $900.00 to $550.00 before I could get out of there and at that price I just had to see if I couldn't make a good hobby lathe out of it.
                    >
                    > D.Hair
                    >
                    > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "dhlh1984" <thehairs@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > well tomorrow is the day I go look at what I hope turns out to be a good 12" lathe. I have the best 18" straight edge I could find, a mic, my dial indicator and a good flashlight. Hoping this baby checks out and comes home with me. Let you all know tomorrow night. Then I'll be able to get on a little better with my hobby of rebuilding Craftsman 109's
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.
                    > >
                    > > David Hair

                  • Dennes Forsmo
                    Message 10 of 11 , Jul 22, 2013
                      I  found this and they talk about your model( along with other numbered lathes )

                      Sound like you got a good deal-- if even just for the experience to see how it works.

                      Good Luck

                      Dennes Forsmo