Re: [atlas_craftsman] Removing the spindle on a 10107403

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
      I guess that's possible.  The spindle pulley on my 3996 has two holes @ 180 deg.  I must obviously have known this once upon a time as both are marked.  However, there is no particular angular relation between them and the oil hole.  I'd guess that the angle between the oil hole and the pin hole nearest to it is around 55 deg.

      While I'm thinking about it, if your spindle pulley bushings haven't been oiled in a while, don't just put a couple of squirts of oil in the hole, install the plug, and go to using the back gears.  I haven't used mine in a while.  While turning the spindle with the pin pulled looking for a 3rd and 4th hole, I noticed that the spindle didn't turn very freely and the pulley wanted to continue to turn with it.  It took about 10 minutes of filling the hole, holding the pulley, and turning the spindle until the hole emptied before I got things freed up again.  I'm going to make a pressure oiler so that I can squirt more than a few drops of oil at a time into the bushings.  1/4-20 hose barb with an inch of rubber hose that the squirt can nozzle is a snug fit in.

      Robert Downs - Houston

      In a message dated 07/17/2013 10:34:27 AM Central Daylight Time, omsrof@... writes:
      Hi Robert,

      I seem to recall when I removed the spindle on my 101.07301 the 4 step largest pulley  has 4 holes to engage the lock  pin- 90 degrees apart as I recall.  I don't have the bull gear with me but have a vague memory that  one of the bull gear engaging holes was lined up with the oil hole in the large 4 step pulley.

      All this from memory as I didn't take any pictures of parts after I disassembled and they are now in TN.

      Dennes Forsmo

      On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM, <wa5cab@...> wrote:
        Norton,

      First, there is a brass pellet in the bottom of the collar's set screw hole.  It's purpose is to prevent the set screw from damaging the threads on the spindle.  Don't lose it.

      You can use a pipe wrench but you will probably damage the OD of the collar.  What I did was bought a pin spanner of the proper diameter and with a 1/4" diameter pin.  I removed the pin and drilled the hole on through.  Then used a 1/4" socket head cap screw to attach the spanner to the collar.  Be sure that the screw is long enough to have several threads engaged but not long enough to tough the pellet.  The hard part is keeping the spindle from turning.

      The collars on the Atlas lathes with Timken bearings are used to set the spindle bearing preload.  As the left bearing always seems to be a tight fit on the spindle, moving them that two teeth gets them quite tight.  The usual suggestion for holding the spindle is to pinch the spindle belt together or to use a cut old belt around the largest pulley groove.  However, if you can't engage the bull gear pin, that won't work.  The other suggestion I've seen but not had to try is to put a plastic or leather strap wrench around the bull gear.  The two things you DON'T want to do are to use the indexing pin in the gear or (assuming you could engage the bull gear pin) engage the back gears (which locks up the spindle).  You'll bend the index pin and you may well break teeth out of the bull gear or small back gear.

      On engaging the pin, if you don't know where the hole in the pulley is, slack the spindle belt, press on the pin so that it is against the pulley, and rotate the pulley until the pin suddenly drops into the hole.  If this doesn't work, your best bet is to go ahead with loosening the collar and remove the spindle.  Then you should be able to see what the problem is.

      For knowing where the hole in the pulley is, years ago I marked mine with a center punch.  However, I have a 3996 with underdrive and there is a wide flat area on the pulley next to the gear.  You'll need to be a little more careful doing something similar on the 4-step pulley.

      Robert Downs - Houston

      In a message dated 07/16/2013 21:09:21 PM Central Daylight Time, norton73commando@... writes:
      Im trying to remove the collar from the left end of the spindle and it will not move.I assume that since it lacks flats for a wrench this would be hand tightened.It appears to have right hand threads.The reason I'm trying to remove the spindle is to replace the belt and check the integrity of the bearings.Also the pull pin on the bull gear refuses to engage into the pulley. Any tricks,tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.P.S. I have removed the slotted set screw from the collar.

    • grandpa1norton
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 20, 2013
        Well, I finally found the time to remove the spindle and it went smoothly. I used Roberts idea with the bolt and a spanner wrench. It worked great. I took the setscrew out of the inside collar and used a long 1/4 inch bolt to hold the spindle. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the roller bearings and the bushings in the step pulley. The problem I had with the bull gears pull pin not engaging was the detent pin was extended up blocking the hole. Apparently I pulled the pin beyond the limit. I marked the location of the holes in the step pulley with a small file. Thanks to Robert and Dennes for the great tips.