Re: [atlas_craftsman] tail stock

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14, 2013
      Well, no one else answered so...

      It is threaded (RH threads).  I've never had to take one off but I would suggest making an impromptu screw driver out of something like 1/8" x 1" flat bar and grinding the edge just thin enough and just deep enough to fit into the slot.  Then using an adjustable (Crescent) wrench to turn it.  Before I tried to turn it, I would soak the interface between the bearing and the tailstock in penetrating oil for a day.

      In a message dated 07/14/2013 17:38:01 PM Central Daylight Time, jerster1959@... writes:
      Thanks for your help eith the back gears. Nect question. Im dissassembling my tail stock and im at the removal of whats referred to as the rear bearing. It has a slot like its threaded on. Is it or is it pressed on? Any suggestions on how to remove.

      Robert Downs - Houston
    • Carvel Webb
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2013

        I may be mixing it up with something else , but as I recall it is not a straight slot – if so suggest shaping the “screwdriver” for a snug fit ,

        Regards,

        Carvel

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 15, 2013
            if your  wrenc is  insufficient, a copper/aluminum  rod applied to th e outside edge of the  slot  aided  by a fair sized  hammer  will move  the slotted  nut ,,,,,so will a  steel  punch , but it  will mar
                if  you can make your  wrench  to chuck in an  olde  tyme  brace , you can  apply lots of  pressure  & torque  to keep th e wrench  engaged...( like  welding  two screwdriver bits  on opposide sides of a  rod .)
             best  wishes
            doc