Re: [atlas_craftsman] paint and endplayin

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2013
      There are no Atlas assembly instructions for anything except the headstock.  Headstock assembly instructions, including how to preload the spindle bearings, are to be found in the Atlas Technical Bulletins on the 6", Timken 10" and early Timken 12", and late 12" bulletins.  You will find these in the Files Section under Repairs and Maintenance/Atlas Technical Bulletins - Lathes of the Atlas_Craftsman_Projects group.  If you are not already a member, apply to join.  eMail traffic from the group is nil and generally discouraged unless you have a problem of some sort with the specific group.  It is operated to provide extra file storage space for the main group here.

      As to paint, I really haven't kept up with that.  Someone else will no doubt reply.

      Robert Downs - Houston

      In a message dated 07/11/2013 19:45:07 PM Central Daylight Time, jerster1959@... writes:
      Hi everyone. Im looking to rebuild my lathe.when I reassemble the headstock. Is there endplay that I need to know. What about torque specs for reassembly. Also what type of paint is good that wil be durable and resistent to the oils and cutting fluids.

      Robert Downs - Houston
    • Guenther Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 12, 2013
        The only end play i would think about if i understand you correctly would be the play or slack in the in the bearings.
        that is adjustable i would go as tight as i could so the bearings are still free.
        There is a paint chart in the file, I would use Sherwin-Williams industrial paint. Any idea what the original paint looked like.

        GP
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 12, 2013
          my lathe is a 12x36. thanks for the reply.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 12, 2013
                Jerster,

                I forgot to say earlier that the Tech Bulletins, with respect to the spindle bearings, apply only to those machines with Timken, not babbit, bearings.  However as your machine doesn't have babbit bearings, no harm done.

                And you will need to join the _Projects sub-group in order to have access to files.

                The short answer to your earlier question is that end float should be zero.  Tapered roller bearings are normally operated with preload of some amount.  The Tech Bulletin tells you how to get the proper end float.

                In a message dated 07/12/2013 08:37:15 AM Central Daylight Time, jerster1959@... writes:
                Thanks by end play Im think the same as if you were checking the end play after assembly of an engine crank. how you place a dial indicater at the end and pull. I have a 12x36 101.07403. dont know the production year I will find that out after i remove the bearings. Thanks for the reply. and I will check the file sections for assembli instructions.

                  Hi everyone. Im looking to rebuild my lathe.when I reassemble the headstock. Is there endplay that I need to know. What about torque specs for reassembly. Also what type of paint is good that wil be durable and resistent to the oils and cutting fluids.

                Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
              • jerry Herrera