Re: [atlas_craftsman] paint and endplayin

  • Scott Henion
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2013
      On 7/11/2013 8:45 PM, jerryH wrote:
      > Hi everyone. Im looking to rebuild my lathe.when I reassemble the headstock. Is there endplay that I need to know. What about torque specs for reassembly. Also what type of paint is good that wil be durable and resistent to the oils and cutting fluids.

      As you did not say which lathe, it is hard to say ;).

      The service bulletins tell how to adjust the end play:
      http://scottandersonpipes.com/atlas_press/servicebulletins.htm

      Scott G. Henion
      Craftsman 12x36 lathe: http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
      Welding pages and homemade welder: http://shdesigns.org/Welding
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 11, 2013
        There are no Atlas assembly instructions for anything except the headstock.  Headstock assembly instructions, including how to preload the spindle bearings, are to be found in the Atlas Technical Bulletins on the 6", Timken 10" and early Timken 12", and late 12" bulletins.  You will find these in the Files Section under Repairs and Maintenance/Atlas Technical Bulletins - Lathes of the Atlas_Craftsman_Projects group.  If you are not already a member, apply to join.  eMail traffic from the group is nil and generally discouraged unless you have a problem of some sort with the specific group.  It is operated to provide extra file storage space for the main group here.

        As to paint, I really haven't kept up with that.  Someone else will no doubt reply.

        Robert Downs - Houston

        In a message dated 07/11/2013 19:45:07 PM Central Daylight Time, jerster1959@... writes:
        Hi everyone. Im looking to rebuild my lathe.when I reassemble the headstock. Is there endplay that I need to know. What about torque specs for reassembly. Also what type of paint is good that wil be durable and resistent to the oils and cutting fluids.

        Robert Downs - Houston
      • Guenther Paul
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 12, 2013
          The only end play i would think about if i understand you correctly would be the play or slack in the in the bearings.
          that is adjustable i would go as tight as i could so the bearings are still free.
          There is a paint chart in the file, I would use Sherwin-Williams industrial paint. Any idea what the original paint looked like.

          GP
          Hi everyone. Im looking to rebuild my lathe.when I reassemble the headstock. Is there endplay that I need to know. What about torque specs for reassembly. Also what type of paint is good that wil be durable and resistent to the oils and cutting fluids.

        • jerry Herrera
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 12, 2013
            my lathe is a 12x36. thanks for the reply.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 12, 2013
                  Jerster,

                  I forgot to say earlier that the Tech Bulletins, with respect to the spindle bearings, apply only to those machines with Timken, not babbit, bearings.  However as your machine doesn't have babbit bearings, no harm done.

                  And you will need to join the _Projects sub-group in order to have access to files.

                  The short answer to your earlier question is that end float should be zero.  Tapered roller bearings are normally operated with preload of some amount.  The Tech Bulletin tells you how to get the proper end float.

                  In a message dated 07/12/2013 08:37:15 AM Central Daylight Time, jerster1959@... writes:
                  Thanks by end play Im think the same as if you were checking the end play after assembly of an engine crank. how you place a dial indicater at the end and pull. I have a 12x36 101.07403. dont know the production year I will find that out after i remove the bearings. Thanks for the reply. and I will check the file sections for assembli instructions.

                    Hi everyone. Im looking to rebuild my lathe.when I reassemble the headstock. Is there endplay that I need to know. What about torque specs for reassembly. Also what type of paint is good that wil be durable and resistent to the oils and cutting fluids.

                  Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
                • jerry Herrera