Re: Craftsmanship

  • Lotus 14
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 11, 2013
      In today's world with almost any part, both tools and product, being made using CNC control; tolerance is almost a thing of the past. The accuracy and precision of parts is very high. In many cases Inspection is used to help "tune" the process, and once the parameters are found, many parts can bypass incoming inspection. In fact that is the goal in many industries.
      What most inspection departments are finding are gross errors where something is not made to print, not that something falls outside the tolerance. Where a lot of concern for the inspection process comes from, is the adoption of requirements such as the ISO 9000 series of certifications. More and more the ISO standards are being asked for by customers (along with a thing called a CE mark). Most of this came into being so you could sell your product to countries which had adopted these standards; not that companies didn't already meet a quality standard. Most of the ISO stuff is putting together a paperwork system. Anyone doing anything can be ISO 9001 certified; all you need to do is be willing to spend the time and money. You can buy a computer program which will set up the whole thing. You then pay a lot of money to a certifying body. You now have an ISO 9001 doughnut shop.
      Craftsmanship, more and more is a subject of hand made low production items. If you are making something for yourself, such as would be the case of most model engineers, you can put far more personal labor into it.
      A small mechanical jewel with an engine turned finish and polished brass shows a craftsmanship you will not find in the world of mass production. Generally speaking, though, the model engineer is not under any constraints.
      Craftsmanship in mass production, of the above type, would only be done to meet customer's expectations.
      I worked designing surgical instruments. At one time, believe it or not, the worlds surgical instruments were all made in one small town in Germany; a real "mom and pop" operation. Times and expectations changed; now they are all made in Pakistan. They do the job, but the certainly don't have the craftsmanship they once had.
      Home based CNC although a fun part of the hobby bears little resemblance to a machine which is using laser interferometry, accurate to a quarter of the wavelength of red light (550 nanometers), and is compensated for temperature changes in the material and environment. Even the Chinese machine tools which are boring bearing mounts in ugly castings are probably capable of such precision and accuracy. Where craftsmanship would come into this, would be the care taken to set up the machine and the program; the machine only does what it is told.
      The best material for the job is the one that does the best job.
      A fancy material really doesn't have much to do with craftsmanship. Some people, particularly those outside of engineering, and the technical trades have a peculiar view of different materials. One of them that fascinates people, is a material known as stainless steel. They mistakenly believe that this is some sort of wonder material. In San Francisco right now, there is a controversy over some "bolts" which were fracturing on the new bay bridge being built. Someone wrote a letter to the editor asking why the bolts weren't made from "stainless" steel, as that would solve the problem…right.

      "L. Garlinghouse" wrote:

      "Make every product better than it's ever been done before. Make the parts you cannot see as well as the parts you can see. Use only the best materials, even for the most everyday items. Give the same attention to the smallest detail as you do to the largest. Design every item you make to last forever." - Shaker Philosophy of Furniture Making

      Enjoy!

      L.H. in Arkansas
    • L. Garlinghouse
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 12, 2013
        As I am the guy that shared the Craftsmanship article with the group, maybe
        this can wrap it up and we can get back to the core purpose of the group.
        Still . . . Craftsman products and craftsmanship . . . . not totally without
        connection.

        "Craftsmanship" as the theme of the article [which I hope at least some of
        us read] is in line with something I heard referred to as "House Wife Yoga,"
        or much the same as don Juan's/Carlos Castañeda's "Warrior." Badly
        paraphrasing, the housewife, when she is done with breakfast cleans the
        kitchen and the stove and the salt and pepper are where the salt and pepper
        go; not somewhere else. The warrior when he goes off to battle leaves his
        other boots shined, his bed made and the room swept. Not because either
        ever expect to fix another breakfast or return to the house, but becasuse
        that is the impeccable way they live every moment of their lives.

        I was a student, then a teacher and later still an administrator in the
        Arkansas Vo-Tech system and I got sooo sick of "Well, that's good enough
        considerin' who its for." Implyling that one's reward defined the level of
        craftsmanship; never doing as good a job as time and circumstance would
        allow as one might be capable of.

        Once as a student I was asked to move some recently cut pipe from one place
        to another in the shop. I immediately recognized that they had not been cut
        by any of the regular students. I asked "Who cut these?" and was told it
        was some maintenance guys taking a class at night. How did I know? because
        the cut ends were all deburred. No edges or burrs to cut the next person
        that handled them. De burring the cut ends was an expression of
        craftsmanship as opposed to its lack as typically found in a shop full of
        veterans with bad attitudes or others stumbling out of their sometimes
        difficult lives into a hoped for better future.

        So, in a society where the mantra seems to be "How little can I get by with;
        what I do depends on what I'll get," an understanding of "craftsmanship" is
        liberating and helps keeps ourselves whole. That's why we go out to our
        shops, unobserved, and make [or try to make] things just beyond our ability
        or that few outside a discussion group or two will care or understand. A
        sort of guerilla op agains a society/culture that has set the standards so
        low that sometimes I am not interested at all.

        Don Juan's concept of "controlled folly": Yes the warrior realizes s/he has
        no control over much of anything, certainly the future, but s/he lives
        his/her life as if such control existed. Ditto most of the folks, regardless
        of their skills/abilities/resources, on our list. There is no guarantee
        that my given project will come out as hoped or better; but I'll do my part
        for intrinsic reasons, not because many folks will understand what I was
        trying to do, much less whether I was successful.
        -----------
        I pretty much wasted the last 15 years of my industrial life preaching ISO
        9000. Yes, there were abuses, lack of understanding, lack of caring and
        even corruption in its implementation. BUT those few companies who took it
        personally/internalized its intent -- expecting internal improvement rather
        than just a certificate -- truly benefitted from it.

        Anyway, 'nuff said. Sorry for the distraction,

        L.H. in Arkansas USA

        ------------
        * Search: Deming forces of destruction. Actual quote: "Extrinsic [from the
        outside -- lhg] motivation slowly destroys self esteem, dignity,
        cooperation and a yearning for learning - all of which are innate and high
        early in life. They are diminished throughout our life by what Dr. Deming
        calls the forces of destruction - of which extrinsic motivation is one of
        these destructive forces."

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 13, 2013
            Nicely put, I for one needed that !

            Thanks