Re: [atlas_craftsman] FYI VFD

  • jtiers
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 4, 2013
      Any quality VFD will have a precharge circuit..... and that drastically
      reduces the problems with turn-on. Turn-on is otherwise a stressor for the
      diodes and for the bus capacitors. Most small VFDs have precharge, and I do
      not know of even one large VFD that does not have a precharge circuit.
      Small ones use a resistor and relay, large ones typically use an SCR
      pre-charge. SCR types have no particular operation limit, since teh SCR is
      rated for full input, but the relay and resistor type have limits based on
      resistor heating for multiple turn-ons.

      I definitely agree, it makes NO sense to remove power and apply it again
      many times per hour. Far better to use the provided "enable" input. That
      may entail some re-wiring, but it is worth the trouble.

      Only if there is a stringent energy saving requirement might the power
      on/off make *some* sense, and in such a case the VFD will need to be
      designed to handle that. Even in that extreme case, I would expect that
      some reasonable design work would let the unit satisfy the requirement while
      maintaining a power connection.

      In any event, the subject Huanyang unit didn't fail in a diode or capacitor.
      And, it probably has a precharge, based on the "T-90 style" relay I saw
      (there would need to be more than one, since that type isn't rated for high
      voltage DC as found after the rectifier.)

      The Huanyang are known for a fairly high incidence of rapid failures, often
      with a "lightshow", although some work for long periods trouble free.
      Other brands have failures also, but they tand to be varied, dead analog
      inputs, bad outputs, display problems, etc, not concentrated in the power
      circuits. Just a word to the wise.... which is hopefully sufficient.

      I expect we have beaten this horse thoroughly, and should bury him.

      JT