Re: [atlas_craftsman] Vibration in my machine... UPDATE

  • Scott Henion
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2013
      On 7/2/2013 3:13 PM, Joe wrote:
      > I popsted a few weeks ago about a vibration I was having in my lathe (atlas craftsman TH42) after going thru and testing all of the components individually I came to the conclusion that the problem was with the motor.
      <clip>
      > I'll post my results as soon as I have some.

      My motor was bent too. The flaking, cloth-covered wires meant it was not
      salvageable without rewinding.

      I bet in transport between previous owners, it was dropped on the motor
      pulley (which probably broke the upper cover bracket.)

      It should be much better. Next is the large pulley on the countershaft.
      Mine was machined terribly:
      http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman-12x36/pulley.shtml

      Still it would sometimes wobble. It warped with changes in temperature.
      If I was going to find a new one, I'd get one of the old style with the
      holes instead of curved spokes. I'll stick with a single 9" pulley as I
      have a VFD and can get away with a single pulley.

      Best of luck, I bet it is a world of difference ;)

      Scott G. Henion
      Craftsman 12x36 lathe: http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
      Welding pages and homemade welder: http://shdesigns.org/Welding
    • john baird
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
        Hi Joe, Glad to see you got to the root of the problem, part of the fun in these old machines, is ironing out the wrinkles, unless you want to buy new, pay full manufacturers price, and get a comprehensive warranty.
        Just think of it as a learning curve, and now you know the machine inside-out, after all being in charge of the maintenance of a large tool room, should have been a doddle for you.
        Regards  jb

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
          Are you the person that is trying to money back on the purchase of the Lathe ? If yes you must keep in mind the age  of the lathe and you bought a used machine. Its easy to pick apart a machine of that age. From what i read here you wanted a perfect like new condition lathe but after all the comments it appears you want a free lathe. It is clear you did not know or understand what you where looking at. A 3rd party expert would have bean help full to you

          GP
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013

            It appears that way....   A case of not underatanding, and not doing due diligence..... never allowing the "blamed" seller to check it,  and expecting a 10EE while buying an old used Atlas...

            How the motor shaft (2 belts away) can prevent the spindle from being true is a mystery to me,,,,,

            And a bent motor shaft????  .... replace motor with $10 yard sale motor, DONE....  o

            JT