Re: [atlas_craftsman] milling attachment 6", 10" or 12"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29 8:21 PM
      Brian,

      Look on the side of the main upright casting (the part that normally fits on the spigot on the cross slide).  It should have a number cast into it which is both the casting number and the finished part number.  If the milling attachment was made by Atlas (regardless of whether it was sold by Atlas or Sears), the three choices are M6-501, 9-501 and 10-501.  From your description, it is probably M6-501 which would ID it as being an M6-500 Milling Attachment for the 6".  The one for the later 10" and 12" is the 500A and the upright part number would be 10-501.

      FWIW, over half of the 10"/12" milling attachments listed on eBay will be listed as Model 10-501.  JiC you try looking for the larger 500A.

      Robert Downs - Houston

      In a message dated 06/29/2013 20:33:05 PM Central Daylight Time, brianmillspaw@... writes:
      Hello

      I recently bought a craftsman/atlas lathe.  It's a 12" x 24" made in 1947 according to the head stock bearings.  It came with a lot of attachments including the milling attachment.

      It's definitely an atlas milling attachment, but there is an adapter under it that I don't see in any other pictures or literature.  It's very nicely done and about 1.5" tall.

      The milling attachment will not fit on the cross slide with out the adapter as the recess in the bottom is too small.

      My question is, how can I tell which milling attachment I have ?
      I'm thinking that it's for the 6" lathe and the PO made it work on the 12" lathe.

      Thanks for the help
      -Brian