Boston Gear Company, change gear inquiry

  • dolphin_79605
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
      I have a 103 tooth change gear made by Boston Gear. The P/N is GB103, PA and PD
      look to be 14.5 and 16. The bore is .750" with double 3/16" key ways. The face
      width and bore length are .500". The outside diameter is 6-9/16". It is cast iron or steel; Boston Gear still lists it in their catalog.

      I looked at a few brands of lathes, but so far have yet to find one that uses this type of change/compounding configuration.

      Does anyone use one on any of their equipment? I am curious on what machinery was it originally used. Any specific application history / information someone
      might know would be helpful.

      Thanks in advance and best regards, Mick
    • James Rice
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
        There is no way to actually know what machine used that particular change gear.  As far as I know, I've never seen one that size used on an Atlas machine.  There are so many different types of lathes, mills, planers, etc from so many makers, most of whom do not exist anymore,

        It may be a gear that was used in a custom set up outside the normal set of change gears supplied by the machine manufacturer.  Or one used on a one off custom built machine.  I worked on packaging lines in the food industry for many years and more than a few of the older machines used change gears sets for different package change overs.

        I'm actually designing a rifling machine, loosely based on Mag. J.G.Smithley's machine which uses change gears to get different ratios of rifling twists from one basic guide spiral guide. The original design machine can be seem at   http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/j-g-smithley_rifler.php and the change gearing setup is clearly show on one of the pictures on that site.

        James

        On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM, dolphin_79605 <dolphin_79605@...> wrote:

        I have a 103 tooth change gear made by Boston Gear. The P/N is GB103, PA and PD
        look to be 14.5 and 16. The bore is .750" with double 3/16" key ways. The face
        width and bore length are .500". The outside diameter is 6-9/16". It is cast iron or steel; Boston Gear still lists it in their catalog.

        I looked at a few brands of lathes, but so far have yet to find one that uses this type of change/compounding configuration.

        Does anyone use one on any of their equipment? I am curious on what machinery was it originally used. Any specific application history / information someone
        might know would be helpful.

        Thanks in advance and best regards, Mick

      • cliff
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
          I have no idea what machine used it, but I'll wager it's actually 6 5/16 inches O.D. --because that is what 16 PD would require of a 103 tooth gear. Odd number of teeth is unusual because it generally leads to fractional ratios --like for some metric set ups. But 103 teeth would have no use for metric conversions that I'm aware of. My guess is that it has nothing much to do with a lathe change gear train.

          Now watch me be sooo wrong about that... well I did say it was my guess.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "dolphin_79605" <dolphin_79605@...> wrote:

          > I have a 103 tooth change gear made by Boston Gear. The P/N is GB103, PA and PD
          > look to be 14.5 and 16. The bore is .750" with double 3/16" key ways. The face
          > width and bore length are .500". The outside diameter is 6-9/16". It is cast iron or steel; Boston Gear still lists it in their catalog.
          >
          > I looked at a few brands of lathes, but so far have yet to find one that uses this type of change/compounding configuration.
          >
          > Does anyone use one on any of their equipment? I am curious on what machinery was it originally used. Any specific application history / information someone
          > might know would be helpful.
          >
          > Thanks in advance and best regards, Mick

        • Kay Davis
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013

            Actually if you look at Boston Gear’s catalog, it’s simple they have in the change gears every tooth listed from 20 to 128 tooth ( if you look at 16DP) has an example. Go to Boston gear at www.bostongear.com and look at the catalog…..

            My guess is that someone needed that oddball gear for a special project ( like James mentions) or ordered it by error J

            As for Boston gear,  why make them….  Well with cnc gear cutters today it’s almost completely automated … so why not…

            Kay

          • Doc
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
              many  early  lathes  viz 1895 reed 14 in & some early south bends as well as  others  used 14 P gears ,,,obsolete ...no one caries  them ....a number of  years  ago we cut abt  18 of them including  a 127 T metric conversion
                  i currently  have  abt18 blanks  left  to cut  for 2 antique lathes ...these  are 16 P , but at i am guessing  a dollar a  tooth ,that  adds upto serious  money
                  have  also brazed missing  teeth  & recut ...so there is  still a place  for a circa 1920 #1200 horizontal  mill.....
                 but  for  just a  single  gear , some of  us are just reactionary  & :onery " enuf  to just  go a head &  cut it anyway ....hey ...its a  hobby
               best  wishes
              doc