Re: Craftsman repulsion induction motor

  • dolphin_79605
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
      Here is an Instruction and Parts sheet for "Craftsman 1/2 to 5 HP Repulsion Start Induction Run Type Motors".

      It may be available on line for free, but I had eBay open, so it was an easy search.

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-1-2-to-5-HP-Repulsion-Start-Induction-Run-Type-Motors-Instructions-/400339169570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3612f122

      The old motor guy here knew how to fix anything; he knew where to get parts if/when he needed them too.

      Nothing is truly obsolete to those who have knowledge or are willing to search a little.

      Best of luck and please share the other end of the story. Happy Monday, Mick

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, jr <suncat33770@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am trying to rebuild my old motor.  It is on an 1954 Atlas 10f lathe.  I took it apart and found there was a shattered ring around the shaft.  The ring appeared to made from a fiber board of some sort, maybe even bakelite.  There was not enough left to make a copy.  I hoping some on the list has “bend there don that” and can lead me to source or picture of the washer.   I am trying to attach some photos.  It is a Craftsman motor, labeled repulsion reduction motor.
      > Thanks for the help,
      > Randy in Largo

    • GJR
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
        You can download from the Vintage Machinery web site.
      • jrw
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
          Well, she is alive for now!!!

          I took a long serious look at the pivots and necklace on the motor.
          I had not engaged them properly. So I left out the ring I thought I needed and she ran.

          So for now I am going to leave well enough alone. We will see if the small fiber ring was necessary.

          As far as the shorting brushes, they appear fine but worn.

          Thanks for help and the link to the instruction sheets. They were on line but they were for a different motor.

          Thanks again!!!!

          Randy
        • c_h_a_r_t_n_y
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2013
            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:

            > Well, she is alive for now!!!
            >
            > I took a long serious look at the pivots and necklace on the motor.
            > I had not engaged them properly. So I left out the ring I thought I needed and she ran.
            >
            > So for now I am going to leave well enough alone. We will see if the small fiber ring was necessary.
            >
            > As far as the shorting brushes, they appear fine but worn.
            >
            > Thanks for help and the link to the instruction sheets. They were on line but they were for a different motor.
            >
            > Thanks again!!!!
            >

            > Randy

            Congrats on a "classic" motor, or maybe historic. (like me)
            These were common pre WWII. Complicated due to the part count and wound rotor and commutator. They had good starting torque and low starting current. Really important back in the day when current in shops was limited.

            Some were brush riding in which the brushes did not provid any usefulness once the shorting neclace was out but continued to ride along. That necklace shorting occured at about 75% full rpm. Others had brush lifting govenor. Bit more complicated.

            -chart-