Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Sleeve Bearing Atlas 6"?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 15, 2013
      Ken.

      I assume that you mean a 101.-7301 with 1"-8 spindle nose threads.  The 1937 Craftsman catalog (101.07300) shows a small oval Craftsman badge on the change gear cover.  The 1938 and 1939 shows possibly the same badge on front of the headstock.  I assume that you've looked on the

      Where is the Sears and Roebuck tag on yours located?

      As far as differences between the Atlas 618 and Craftsman 101.07301 are concerned, according to multiple parts manuals that I have (of differing vintages), most of the parts in the two models are the same.  The only significant differences are the headstock casting, spindle, and some of the parts on the spindle.  The spindle nose threads are also different.  That was an unfortunate mistake on Atlas's part.

      Robert D.

      In a message dated 06/15/2013 17:50:23 PM Central Daylight Time, dreamcrafters@... writes:
      Mine is a 301, it has the head stock sleeve bearings.  The tag only says "Sears and Robuck" not Atlas or Craftsman.  The change gear tag gives no brand name at all. In going through the lathe to clean it up I found no other differances from the drawings for the 618. HTH Ken H.

      Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
    • speedphoto300
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
        Hard evidence, no. But as you have found, there is nothing in any of the catalogs or parts lists to indicate the existence of an Atlas OEM sleeve bearing 618. I have also seen machines claimed to be such, though, and have come to the conclusion that they are 101.0371's with replacement beds that came from parted out 618's. Given that the beds are identical except for the mane plates the swap is easy. Subsequent owners could easily believe the bed was original.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
          Yes, that's been pretty much my conclusion, too.  I had a guy on another list tell me that he called all 6x18's "618".  Even those not made by Atlas.  I started to ask him whether he called all four-door family sedans Fairlanes, but didn't.  :-)

          In a message dated 06/16/2013 15:35:45 PM Central Daylight Time, speedphoto300@... writes:
          Hard evidence, no. But as you have found, there is nothing in any of the catalogs or parts lists to indicate the existence of an Atlas OEM sleeve bearing 618. I have also seen machines claimed to be such, though, and have come to the conclusion that they are 101.0371's with replacement beds that came from parted out 618's. Given that the beds are identical except for the mane plates the swap is easy. Subsequent owners could easily believe the bed was original.

          Robert Downs - Houston
        • Ken Harrington
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 16, 2013
            Yes 101.-73001. The "tag" is on the back / center of the bed just below the ways. My appologies the door was open when I looked there is A badge ON the door that says Crafsman in an oval. And you are correct the head stock casting is different. I have not had to tear down the spindle so I'm not sure on that. The sleeve bearing seem to be holding up OK and still have some adjustment to go before there shot. The 1"-8 threads worked out fine for me so far as all of the face plates, chucks and attachments from my wood lathe fit that thread as well. I also found an ER32 collet holder through a wood working lathe supply company for under 100.00 that works very well. let me know if you have any other questions or need me to measure something on my lathe. Ken

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2013
              OK.  Thanks.

              By "door", do you mean the change gear cover on the left end or the headstock top cover over the spindle?  I assume probably the former.  In looking at the photographs of the 6" and 12" in the Power Tool catalogs and some "Big Books" over the period 1938-1950, about the only thing one can say about the consistency of the badge type and location is that it's inconsistant.  In various years, it varies from nothing to two different oval metal badge designs to three different silk screened painted ones.  Or the white silkscreened one could be a photo re-touch job.  :-)

              Robert D.

              In a message dated 06/17/2013 01:10:56 AM Central Daylight Time, dreamcrafters@... writes:
              Yes 101.07301. The "tag" is on the back / center of the bed just below the ways.  My appologies the door was open when I looked there is A badge ON the door that says Crafsman in an oval.  And you are correct the head stock casting is different. I have not had to tear down the spindle so I'm not sure on that.  The sleeve bearing seem to be holding up OK and still have some adjustment to go before there shot.  The 1"-8 threads worked out fine for me so far as all of the face plates, chucks and attachments from my wood lathe fit that thread as well. I also found an ER32 collet holder through a wood working lathe supply company for under 100.00 that works very well.  let me know if you have any other questions or need me to measure something on my lathe.  Ken

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@... wrote:

              >Ken.
              >
              >I assume that you mean a 101.07301 with 1"-8 spindle nose threads.  The
              >1937 Craftsman catalog (101.07300) shows a small oval Craftsman badge on the
              >change gear cover.  The 1938 and 1939 shows possibly the same badge on front
              >of the headstock.  I assume that you've looked on the covers.
              >
              >Where is the Sears and Roebuck tag on yours located?
              >
              >As far as differences between the Atlas 618 and Craftsman 101.07301 are
              >concerned, according to multiple parts manuals that I have (of differing
              >vintages), most of the parts in the two models are the same.  The only significant
              >differences are the headstock casting, spindle, and some of the parts on
              >the spindle.  The spindle nose threads are also different.  That was an
              >unfortunate mistake on Atlas's part.
              >
              >Robert D.

              Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
            • Ken Harrington
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 19, 2013
                yes, the change gear cover on the left end. Your assumption is correct. Ken