Re: [atlas_craftsman] Wanting 50 tooth change gear.

  • Dan Buchanan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 15, 2013
    I posted photos of the complete Atlas Pick-A-Gear 12 gear set, including the 50T gear and the holder for it, a few years ago, ca. 2011.
    The link is dead, so apparently the photos were deleted for some reason or means.

    At that time, my question was about the purpose or usefulness of the 50T gear and possibly making reproductions of the rack/ holder.

    I have seen this set in an Atlas catalog but cannot remember what year it was.
    It also appears on Tony Griffiths website here:  http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page11.html about half way down the page.

    One of these partial sets, with the 50T gear sold recently on eBay, Item Number 151045368324

    I still have my own complete set and rack  with some good photos, but they are on another hard drive which I cannot access at the moment.
    I will re-post them when I can.

    -Dan

    Message 2 of 16 , Jun 15, 2013
      Yes.  So did the 5/8" dia. lead screw 10" variants (10C, 10D and maybe early 10F).

      Robert Downs - Houston

      In a message dated 06/15/2013 18:06:29 PM Central Daylight Time, james.rice@... writes:
      I also have noticed the older 9" lathe with the smaller lead screw also used a 96T change gear.  It wasn't shown in the 2005 Clausing parts list.  Probably was NLA even then.

      James

    • dolphin_79605
      Message 3 of 16 , Jun 17, 2013
        Carvel,  the following are the Atlas/Craftsman 9/10/12  gears that I've seen.   16/32 compound, 20, 24, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 60, 64, 96.

        Aside from others I've yet to learn about, even more can be made for special purposes.

        With a QCBG I can make a lathe sing.  With a QCGB and a good selection of change gears, I can make one sing like Opera tenor, Luciano Pavarotti serving his home made Fettucini Alfredo.

        Best regards,  Mick

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Carvel Webb" wrote:

        > Mick,
        >
        > Maybe Robert et al can confirm , but I don't know that there was a 50T gear
        > in the Atlas range ?
        >
        > I was impression they more or less went in intervals of 4 i.e.
        > 32/36/40/44/48/52/56/60 etc ?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Carvel

      • Carvel Webb
        Message 4 of 16 , Jun 17, 2013

          Mick , thanks ,

          Those all look familiar with the exception of the 50T which I hadn’t come across – live and learn ,

          Don’t get chips in your dinner :>)

          Best regards,

          Carvel

          Carvel,  the following are the Atlas/Craftsman 9/10/12  gears that I've seen.   16/32 compound, 20, 24, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 60, 64, 96.

          Aside from others I've yet to learn about, even more can be made for special purposes.

          With a QCBG I can make a lathe sing.  With a QCGB and a good selection of change gears, I can make one sing like Opera tenor, Luciano Pavarotti serving his home made Fettucini Alfredo.

          Best regards,  Mick

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Carvel Webb" wrote:

          > Mick,
          >
          > Maybe Robert et al can confirm , but I don't know that there was a 50T gear
          > in the Atlas range ?
          >
          > I was impression they more or less went in intervals of 4 i.e.
          > 32/36/40/44/48/52/56/60 etc ?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Carvel

          dangerous content by Pinpoint Securemail,
          and is believed to be clean.

            Carvel,  the following are the Atlas/Craftsman 9/10/12  gears that I've seen.   16/32 compound, 20, 24, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 60, 64, 96.

            Aside from others I've yet to learn about, even more can be made for special purposes.

            With a QCBG I can make a lathe sing.  With a QCGB and a good selection of change gears, I can make one sing like Opera tenor, Luciano Pavarotti serving his home made Fettucini Alfredo.

            Best regards,  Mick

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Carvel Webb" wrote:

            >Mick,
            >
            >Maybe Robert et al can confirm , but I don't know that there was a 50T gear
            >in the Atlas range ?
            >
            >I was impression they more or less went in intervals of 4 i.e.
            >32/36/40/44/48/52/56/60 etc ?
            >
            >Regards,
            >
            >Carvel

            &gt; You do this yourself by sending a message to:

            Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
          • dolphin_79605
            Message 6 of 16 , Jun 17, 2013
              My pleasure. When I found my 50, I was just in time as I was getting ready to grind a couple teeth of an extra 52. TIC, Mick