RE: [atlas_craftsman] Never Buy A Cheap Reamer!

  • Carvel Webb
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2013

      OK Doc J - one of my (very) early experiences with your ‘torch’ was to heat and quench a large centre punch which I had proudly made on the lathe . Only after numerous unsuccessful attempts at heating and quenching did some kind soul explain to me that mild steel doesn’t harden ! !

      Live and learn

      So what do we call a “torch” – the one that emits light for illuminating bores – in your part of the world ?

      Best regards,

      Carvel

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2013
        At 06:43 AM 6/1/2013, Carvel Webb wrote:
        >So what do we call a “torch” – the one that
        >emitss light for illuminating bores – in your part of the world ?

        Usually a flashlight, occasionally a flash (if
        there's no chance of confusing it with a photographic flash unit).

        Not to be confused with flashbulb, flashtube, flashlamp and such.

        Yours,
        David

        --
        David Beierl -- dbeierl@...
      • Doc
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2013
          a flash light , ......
                or specifically for  pistol /rifle  bores , a  borelight .( has a short length of  "whatever " sticking  out from the  battery  case   that  illuminates ).
              best  wishes
          doc

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 1, 2013
            David - thanks

            Now that you mention it , I have seen the term although not in general use .

            'Flash' is generally applied to the photographic version here .

            On a lighter note ( pardon the pun ) , I spent a good while looking for a visiting family member's (photo) flash , which I never found , because she was referring to a 'torch' - which we did find eventually ,

            Interesting ,

            Keep well,

            Carvel

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2013

              OK Doc , between you and David I’ve got the message ( smile) .

              Bore lights I have , and flash light I’ll remember !

              Best wishes ,

              Carvel

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2013
                Carvel Webb wrote:

                > OK Doc J - one of my (very) early experiences with your ‘torch’ was to
                > heat and quench a large centre punch which I had proudly made on the
                > lathe . Only after numerous unsuccessful attempts at heating and
                > quenching did some kind soul explain to me that mild steel doesn’t
                > harden ! !
                >
                > So what do we call a “torch” – the one that emits light for
                > illuminating bores – in your part of the world ?

                US equivalent of the UK torch is flashlight.

                Jon
              • MikeyT
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2013
                  I bought a medium quality finish reamer from Enco a few years back, in both 3MT and 2MT, I've used them both on several tailstock and spindle repairs, and they work fine, but you do have to get some good and controllable pressure on them to cut anything, ie applying pressure by hand goes nowhere fast. I used the milling attachment and carriage to apply pressure, with the spindle turning very slow, a couple of revolutions and I was done. One of the tailstock rams was in pretty bad condition, same arrangement with the ram removed from the tailstock and chucked up (I used a keyway in the ram slot, acting as a driver against the chuck jaw to prevent the ram from spinning in the chuck, as it is too hard to hold in the chuck without slipping), that one took more than just a few revolutions, but it cut quite well, and cleaned up nicely.

                  Michael