Atlas tails stock mods.

  • a8050266
    Message 1 of 9 , May 30, 2013
      All,
      fwiw I compiled my Tailstock mods done all on one page.
      I have yet to add the pics of the tailstock lock down to the bed spring assembly but will do.

      Also I know some of these mods are duplicates of others and some are mine.
      but we all love pics eh?

      http://thesn1per.blogspot.com/2013/05/atlas-10-lathe-tailstock-mods.html

      Enjoy!
    • dolphin_79605
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
        Thank you for sharing. I went through mine up a couple weeks ago. Nothing near as high tech as what you did though.

        I am still interested in a feed dial for it. Am hoping to find one of the large ones from an old cross or compound feed dial.

        Also looking for a spring of the right strength and diameter to insert under the lower lock.

        Great stuff, thanks again, Mick

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
          I like the micrometer dial I have on my tailstock.  It's larger than the crossfeed dial and didn't require making a longer ram feed screw.

          I wouldn't put a spring under the lower ram lock cylinder.  That will cause the cylinder to always drag on the ram - and wear a flat on it.

          Robert Downs - Houston

          In a message dated 6/1/2013 7:13:16 PM Central Daylight Time, dolphin_79605@... writes:
          I am still interested in a feed dial for it.  Am hoping to find one of the large ones from an old cross or compound feed dial.

          Also looking for a spring of the right strength and diameter to insert under the lower lock.

          Great stuff, thanks again,  Mick

        • Sam Rod
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
            Mick,
            Ill endeavor to take some pics of the bottom of my TS as well as supply some specs for the spring cups I made.
            hopefully it''ll help. are you in the states? perhaps I can whip out a set and send to you. not promising anything though.

            Sam

            On Jun 1, 2013, at 8:13 PM, dolphin_79605 <dolphin_79605@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for sharing. I went through mine up a couple weeks ago. Nothing near as high tech as what you did though.
            >
            > I am still interested in a feed dial for it. Am hoping to find one of the large ones from an old cross or compound feed dial.
            >
            > Also looking for a spring of the right strength and diameter to insert under the lower lock.
            >
            > Great stuff, thanks again, Mick
            >

            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "a8050266" <mail4sam@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> All,
            >> fwiw I compiled my Tailstock mods done all on one page.
            >> I have yet to add the pics of the tailstock lock down to the bed spring assembly but will do.
            >>
            >> Also I know some of these mods are duplicates of others and some are mine.
            >> but we all love pics eh?
            >>
            >> http://thesn1per.blogspot.com/2013/05/atlas-10-lathe-tailstock-mods.html
            >>
            >> Enjoy!

            > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
            > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

          • Sam Rod
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
              RobertD. ,
              Im pretty suer Mick is talking about the spring. under the TS Lock not the ram lock.
              but heck I could be wrong.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2013
                Sam,

                OK.  That makes sense.  Memory of an earlier post led me to a false conclusion.

                Robert D.

                In a message dated 6/1/2013 9:49:14 PM Central Daylight Time, mail4sam@... writes:
                RobertD. ,Im pretty suer Mick is talking about the spring. under the TS Lock not the ram lock.
                but heck I could be wrong.

                On Jun 1, 2013, at 10:31 PM, wa5cab@... wrote:

                I like the micrometer dial I have on my tailstock.  It's larger than the crossfeed dial and didn't require making a longer ram feed screw.

                I wouldn't put a spring under the lower ram lock cylinder.  That will cause the cylinder to always drag on the ram - and wear a flat on it.

                Robert Downs - Houston
                wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
                MV PA 9480

                In a message dated 6/1/2013 7:13:16 PM Central Daylight Time, dolphin_79605@... writes:
                I am still interested in a feed dial for it.  Am hoping to find one of the large ones from an old cross or compound feed dial.

                Also looking for a spring of the right strength and diameter to insert under the lower lock.

                Great stuff, thanks again,  Mick

                Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
              • dolphin_79605
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                  I went through my tailstock recently due to binding. I found culprit to be disorientation of the lock (M6-44) flat to the ram. Evidently it had rotated a number of times causing minor flats to be worn, none of which allowed the release tension when called for hand lever loosened.

                  I cleaned up the original factory flat on the lock the best I could and noted not to loosen hand lever more than necessary to move the ram in the future.

                  At the same time I took notice that a (unauthorized) light weight spring under the lock would keep it from falling when the handle was unlocked. In my mind the purpose would be the keeping of the lock flat oriented to the ram with minimal pressure.

                  I was not thinking any spring tension near heavy enough to cause enough drag to wear a flat, but enough to automatically keep the lock flat in proper alignment when moving ram back and fourth via handwheel operation.

                  This is about the same time I got to thinking a nice dial between the handwheel and tailstock could be a very useful tool for certain operations too.

                  Happy Sunday, Mick

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                    Wow... I stand corrected But glad to hear you got to the bottom of it. (no pun intended)
                    Sam

                    On Jun 2, 2013, at 12:47 PM, "dolphin_79605" <dolphin_79605@...> wrote:

                    > I went through my tailstock recently due to binding. I found culprit to be disorientation of the lock (M6-44) flat to the ram. Evidently it had rotated a number of times causing minor flats to be worn, none of which allowed the release tension when called for hand lever loosened.
                    >
                    > I cleaned up the original factory flat on the lock the best I could and noted not to loosen hand lever more than necessary to move the ram in the future.
                    >
                    > At the same time I took notice that a (unauthorized) light weight spring under the lock would keep it from falling when the handle was unlocked. In my mind the purpose would be the keeping of the lock flat oriented to the ram with minimal pressure.
                    >
                    > I was not thinking any spring tension near heavy enough to cause enough drag to wear a flat, but enough to automatically keep the lock flat in proper alignment when moving ram back and fourth via handwheel operation.
                    >
                    > This is about the same time I got to thinking a nice dial between the handwheel and tailstock could be a very useful tool for certain operations too.
                    >
                    > Happy Sunday, Mick
                    >
                    > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Sam Rod <mail4sam@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> RobertD. ,
                    >> Im pretty suer Mick is talking about the spring. under the TS Lock not the ram lock.
                    >> but heck I could be wrong.
                    >>

                    >> On Jun 1, 2013, at 10:31 PM, wa5cab@... wrote:
                    >>

                    >>> I like the micrometer dial I have on my tailstock. It's larger than the crossfeed dial and didn't require making a longer ram feed screw.
                    >>>
                    >>> I wouldn't put a spring under the lower ram lock cylinder. That will cause the cylinder to always drag on the ram - and wear a flat on it.
                    >>>
                    >>> Robert Downs - Houston
                    >>> wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
                    >>> MVPA 9480

                    > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                    > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

                  • MikeyT
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 2, 2013
                      What Atlas did on the mill support bar locks (same style of locks as the tailstock ram lock) is put a piece of rubber hose (like 1/4" fuel line) of the appropriate length between the 2 lock halves (this is PN MI-26 "Spacer" on the mill parts diagrams). Appropriate length means short enough to compress and not interfere with the lock halves closing enough to clamp securely, but long enough to expand and drive the lock halves apart when released. It take a bit of trial and error to get the length right, but it is simple, and works very well.