Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Treadmill motors

  • Cindy & Wayne Burner
    Message 1 of 10 , May 25, 2013
      A few of my tool storage boxes, are lined with the foot mat belting, and one of my kayak paddles, has the rubber foam hand grips that were on a free treadmill. I used the motor on a 6" A/C lathe, that needed the motor, and it worked sweet. I traded that lathe , for an Atlas that had a QC gearbox, and 36" between centers. I had a 54" bed that was a direct replacement and had zero wear, and that is what I use now.
      Keep your eyes open, it's that time of year when those types of treadmills show up with "free" signs attached.
      Wayne(rice)Burner

      On May 24, 2013, at 7:40 PM, wedge446 wrote:

      I guess I will chime in on treadmill motors..
      I have one powering my south bend 9x54 and it works good...
      Thinks to look for when using a treadmill motor are the brushes.. Some motors have the brushes mounted are an angle so they run good one was but not so good another way... Cooling is an issue but I used the flywheel/fan that came with it, I turned down the pulley when the serp belt went and pressed the V-belt pulley on there.. That took care of cooling... Some controllers have a built in braking function that helps slow it down when turned off, some dont... Not sure yet
      how to tell what one has the brake built in..
      The HP rating on the sides of the motors is a bit misleading. The HP is rated at the speed that listed so the slower it turns the HP drops so get the highest HP motor you can find.. Some treadmills have an incline motor as well... Im working on a way to use them as a belt tensioner..
      There are other parts of the tread mill that are useful. The rollers are good for making roller stands and the plastic on the bottom makes a good backsplash..
      Just my $.02

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jim Irwin <jirwin1@...> wrote:

      > These are still sitting awaiting their fate.
      > The display/control panels are available, too.
      > And I have good pics of these, too.
      > I friend has interest for his Atlas and for his mill.
      > Can I get some guidance to the most current/applicable archived files for
      > these?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Jim Irwin
      >

      > On 3/27/13 2:23 PM, "Jim Irwin" wrote:
      >
      > > OK Here¹s the make & model motors
      > > Unisen StarTrac Pro make/model of the treadmills.
      > > Model # 7631-SUSAPO
      > > Made in July, 2005
      > > AO Smith made the motors.
      > > Label on motors say:
      > > HP 5SPL 230V 3ph
      > > 1745 RPM 5.6A
      > > The two elevation/ramp motors & boards are available, too.
      > > I do not see specs/labels on these, though. If they are present, they¹re
      > > hidden as installed.
      > >
      > > Will gladly make a deal on any combination of these motors/boards.
      > > The treadmills came from a local town¹s government as working units
      > > replaced/upgraded.
      > >
      > > All appears to be present and accounted for with nothing broken or burned or
      > > otherwise damaged, though I have no way to check them out for functioning.
      > >
      > > Again... Please contact me off list if interested.
      > >
      > > Jim Irwin
      > >

      > > On 3/26/13 12:04 PM, "Jim Irwin" wrote:
      > >
      > >> I have just procured two treadmills with AO Smith motors and PC boards.
      > >> Will sell these for a fair price (to be determined/negotiated).
      > >> Will get identifying numbers off these and have them available this evening
      > >> for anyone wanting a set.
      > >>
      > >> Please contact me off list if interested.
      > >>
      > >> Thanks,
      > >>
      > >> Jim Irwin
      > >> Austin, Texas

    • David Weaver
      Message 2 of 10 , May 25, 2013

        I’ve been trolling for treadmills for several months now.  The best internal parts can be had from True, Landice, Vision, and Life Fitness machines.  My current collection includes a beautiful 3HP DC permanent magnet Baldor with all the motor controls, and a 4HP AC 3 phase from a Life Fitness treadmill.  The 3 phase runs on 110 V house current, so the power supply and other components convert the current to 3 phase.  It is my understanding that 3 phase motors can be smaller in size and deliver better torque characteristics than a single phase AC motor.  The smaller foldup models can also yield powerful smaller in size permanent magnet dc motors and the controls.

        Some of the as yet issues for me to address when I get to use them is installing a control panel that eliminates the treadmill panel.  The Life Fitness control panel wants a weight entered before it will operate and it also wants the other auxiliary parts, like the linear actuator and belt lubricant pump to be hooked up.

        So using the motors is not quite as straightforward as one might think, but it does provide the opportunity to learn and experiment.