Re: [atlas_craftsman] Requesting input from group.

  • Sam Rod
    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2013
      It will have more torque with it on. Spin up time will be longer. But its not mandentory . I would build it so you can a/b it nothing like experiance.
      If you invest in a pwm dc controller "dart" or similar you can expose more of the motors power too.

      Sent from my iPhone 4our/es

      On May 24, 2013, at 3:28 PM, "WOV123@..." <WOV123@...> wrote:

      Hello Group!

      I would like to post a question.

      I am replacing the old 115VAC motor on my 618 with a treadmill motor and controller. Will the lathe work better with the motor flywheel on, or removed?

      Thank you, Wayne Varnadoe.

    • Scott Henion
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2013
        On 5/24/2013 3:28 PM, WOV123@... wrote:
        Hello Group!

        I would like to post a question.

        I am replacing the old 115VAC motor on my 618 with a treadmill motor and controller. Will the lathe work better with the motor flywheel on, or removed?

        Thank you, Wayne Varnadoe.

        The flywheel is also the fan. So it will run cooler with it.

        I used a treadmill motor on a drill press without the flywheel. I made a small fan that worked fine. You could also use a box fan and fashion an enclosure to force the air into the motor from the other end.

        I would have kept the flywheel but there was no room in the small drill press to mount it.

        --
        ------------------------------------
        	Scott G. Henion

          Message 4 of 6 , May 24, 2013
            When used for high torque, low speed applications the torque from these
            PM motors with extremely strong magnets tends to be a bit "lumpy" the
            tightly coupled flywheel smoothes this out. And since there is no need
            for sudden speed changes with a lathe the flywheel might lower the
            vibration, I didn't get the flywheel with mine, but it works just fine
            without. Some of the drives that they use for treadmills are quite
            limited in performance and ill suited for wide range use. Some can be
            modified, some are best replaced with a general purpose controller. With
            a good drive, these motors show excellent performance with full torque
            down to zero speed, much like a dedicated servo motor. You should set
            the current limit to prevent breaking things if the belts don't slip
            first. I stuck a tool threading and it almost broke the tool post before
            the stock gave way.

            I've been working the past two weeks with a 15" LeBlond Regal lathe and
            it's unbelievable how big a chip you can take with that with no muss and
            no fuss. I have to remember to be careful with the 618.

            Regards

            cww

            wa5cab@... wrote:

            > Leave it on. It's presence probably indicates that the motor speed
            > "hunts" without it and it was the cheaper "fix".
            >
            > Robert Downs - Houston
            > wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
            > MVPA 9480
            >
            > In a message dated 5/24/2013 2:28:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
            > WOV123@... writes:
            >> Hello Group!
            >>
            >> I would like to post a question.
            >>
            >> I am replacing the old 115VAC motor on my 618 with a treadmill motor
            >> and controller. Will the lathe work better with the motor flywheel
            >> on, or removed?
            >>
            >> Thank you, Wayne Varnadoe.

          • printeronretainer
            Message 5 of 6 , May 25, 2013
              > I am replacing the old 115VAC motor on my 618 with a treadmill motor and controller. Will the lathe work better with the motor flywheel on, or removed?

              I'll venture to answer this even though I'm a printer, and only use my stock lathe for repair projects--and yes, it jumps and stutters on slow speeds and start-ups.

              I have owned many printing presses; many models use the cylinders (plate, blanket, and impression) as flywheels combined with an inductive motor coupled with a variable speed pulley. Even though the stock lacks mass (it's a sheet of paper, remember) at low speeds they will shudder at start-up and lower speeds. Some of this is no doubt mechanical wear of linkages, the pulley, the belt condition, and the clutch.

              Worse than this on a used printing press -- and yes they have more moving parts and are more complicated than a lathe -- there are often points of resonance which reverberate through the machine. This causes problems. Every press has a "sweet spot" in which ink lay and registration precision is best; it's a printer's version of obtaining a good "finish cut."

              I have seldom had this problem with my presses that were equipped with DC direct drive.

              If I were you, I would keep or add a flywheel if necessary (inertial force is a good thing for smoothing out vibration re: Newton), and engineer this project so that you can measure the improvement without eliminating your ability to revert to an older set up. Then report back. I'm interested in trying this conversion project with my lathe myself.

              Personally, if I had the money, all the presses I ever owned would be driven by DC controlled motors with flywheels and hydraulic breaking systems.