Re: [atlas_craftsman] armstrong tool post-size

  • tk1161
    Message 1 of 8 , May 22 4:39 AM
    On Mon, 20 May 2013 21:50:58 -0400, Scott Henion
    <shenion@...>:

    >On 5/20/2013 7:11 AM, tmgsr@... wrote:
    >> I looked around but cant seem to find out what size this is? axa?
    >> bxa?, it does look like it will work on my lathe fine as the tool
    >> holder on it has a very low channel, but it is pretty big overall, I
    >> also need to figure out what holders will interchange with this
    >
    >Hard to say by the picture as there is no size reference.
    >
    >Measure the width of the dovetail and we can see if ours match.

    dovetail width was 1.705

    I attached pics of the holder with dimensions

    the channel that the tool rests in was milled down by someone, the
    dimension I gave there was best I could tell of the original channel
    height

    Thanks!
  • tk1161
    Message 2 of 8 , May 23 4:09 AM
      On Mon, 20 May 2013 19:29:29 -0500, "L. Garlinghouse"
      <lhghouse@...>:

      >I am a relative newby to the QCTP world, but IMHO the key to whether the
      >size is right for your lathe is:
      >
      >-- using the tool setup in your pic, is the cutting edge of the tool at
      >about the 1/2 way point in the tool height adjustment available AND on the
      >center of a cylindrical work piece?
      >
      >IMHO, if the cutting point can be adjusted to a usable height and the tool
      >post made "fast" or solid, then it is good enough. A heavier than required
      >tool post probably has some advantages -- especially if it was free.
      >
      >Also note that in your pic, the set-up guy used a tool blank as a spacer --
      >so there is quite a bit of leeway in tool height adjustment within the tool
      >holding module and ignoring the locked-in limits of the tool post itself.

      BTW in that pic, where it shows a tool blank under the tool, someone
      had milled down that particular holder quite a bit - while looking for
      more information, I see Dorian style tool holders seem to have the
      tool channel much lower, than the aloris style

      >I've seen different size tool blanks used and even hacksaw blades for fine
      >tuning tool height. Obviously the snappy adjusting screw in a QCTP makes a
      >lot of this not neccesary if you plan on using the same tool over and over
      >again.
      >
      >The next question is do you have other tool holding modules in your pile of
      >goodies? -- or maybe some other brand will fit . . . ?
      >
      >Have fun,
      >L.H. in the Southern Ozarks

      >The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
      >Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

    • tk1161
      Message 3 of 8 , May 23 4:17 AM
        On Mon, 20 May 2013 07:11:57 -0400, tmgsr@...:

        >not sure if this is ok here, but I bought a box of tooling and inside
        >was a Armstrong 81-011 QCTP it only has one holder with it and someone
        >had made the bolt and t nut to fit a big machine looks like,

        well I milled my T-nut to fit my atlas lathe and it is working fine!

        I did fund some more information on the Armstrong QCTP

        I just searched google differently this morning, a fellow on P.M. had
        posted the sizes according to his Armstrong catalog, the 81-011 like I
        have should be a bxa size post - not sure if it was ok to post a link
        to another forum or not here.