armstrong tool post

  • tk1161
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2013
    not sure if this is ok here, but I bought a box of tooling and inside
    was a Armstrong 81-011 QCTP it only has one holder with it and someone
    had made the bolt and t nut to fit a big machine looks like,

    I looked around but cant seem to find out what size this is? axa?
    bxa?, it does look like it will work on my lathe fine as the tool
    holder on it has a very low channel, but it is pretty big overall, I
    also need to figure out what holders will interchange with this

    here is apic attached of it as well, it has wedges that will lock the
    holders in place,
  • L. Garlinghouse
    Message 2 of 8 , May 20, 2013
      I am a relative newby to the QCTP world, but IMHO the key to whether the
      size is right for your lathe is:

      -- using the tool setup in your pic, is the cutting edge of the tool at
      about the 1/2 way point in the tool height adjustment available AND on the
      center of a cylindrical work piece?

      IMHO, if the cutting point can be adjusted to a usable height and the tool
      post made "fast" or solid, then it is good enough. A heavier than required
      tool post probably has some advantages -- especially if it was free.

      Also note that in your pic, the set-up guy used a tool blank as a spacer --
      so there is quite a bit of leeway in tool height adjustment within the tool
      holding module and ignoring the locked-in limits of the tool post itself.
      I've seen different size tool blanks used and even hacksaw blades for fine
      tuning tool height. Obviously the snappy adjusting screw in a QCTP makes a
      lot of this not neccesary if you plan on using the same tool over and over
      again.

      The next question is do you have other tool holding modules in your pile of
      goodies? -- or maybe some other brand will fit . . . ?

      Have fun,
      L.H. in the Southern Ozarks
    • Scott Henion
      Message 3 of 8 , May 20, 2013
        On 5/20/2013 7:11 AM, tmgsr@... wrote:
        > I looked around but cant seem to find out what size this is? axa?
        > bxa?, it does look like it will work on my lathe fine as the tool
        > holder on it has a very low channel, but it is pretty big overall, I
        > also need to figure out what holders will interchange with this

        Hard to say by the picture as there is no size reference.

        Measure the width of the dovetail and we can see if ours match.

        --

        ------------------------------------
        Scott G. Henion
        Message 4 of 8 , May 21, 2013
          On Mon, 20 May 2013 21:50:58 -0400, Scott Henion
          <shenion@...>:

          >On 5/20/2013 7:11 AM, tmgsr@... wrote:
          >> I looked around but cant seem to find out what size this is? axa?
          >> bxa?, it does look like it will work on my lathe fine as the tool
          >> holder on it has a very low channel, but it is pretty big overall, I
          >> also need to figure out what holders will interchange with this
          >
          >Hard to say by the picture as there is no size reference.
          >
          >Measure the width of the dovetail and we can see if ours match.

          thank you, I will get the measurements this morning

          I never did find any reference to the Armstrong part number on the
          post
        • tk1161
          Message 5 of 8 , May 21, 2013
            On Mon, 20 May 2013 19:29:29 -0500, "L. Garlinghouse"
            <lhghouse@...>:

            >The next question is do you have other tool holding modules in your pile of

            no, that is one reason I wanted to know the size of this post, Ie axa
            bxa ect ect

            im getting the measurements this morning posted
          • tk1161
            Message 6 of 8 , May 22, 2013
            <shenion@...>:

            >On 5/20/2013 7:11 AM, tmgsr@... wrote:
            >> I looked around but cant seem to find out what size this is? axa?
            >> bxa?, it does look like it will work on my lathe fine as the tool
            >> holder on it has a very low channel, but it is pretty big overall, I
            >> also need to figure out what holders will interchange with this
            >
            >Hard to say by the picture as there is no size reference.
            >
            >Measure the width of the dovetail and we can see if ours match.

            dovetail width was 1.705

            I attached pics of the holder with dimensions

            the channel that the tool rests in was milled down by someone, the
            dimension I gave there was best I could tell of the original channel
            height

            Thanks!
          • tk1161
            Message 7 of 8 , May 23, 2013
              <lhghouse@...>:

              >I am a relative newby to the QCTP world, but IMHO the key to whether the
              >size is right for your lathe is:
              >
              >-- using the tool setup in your pic, is the cutting edge of the tool at
              >about the 1/2 way point in the tool height adjustment available AND on the
              >center of a cylindrical work piece?
              >
              >IMHO, if the cutting point can be adjusted to a usable height and the tool
              >post made "fast" or solid, then it is good enough. A heavier than required
              >tool post probably has some advantages -- especially if it was free.
              >
              >Also note that in your pic, the set-up guy used a tool blank as a spacer --
              >so there is quite a bit of leeway in tool height adjustment within the tool
              >holding module and ignoring the locked-in limits of the tool post itself.

              BTW in that pic, where it shows a tool blank under the tool, someone
              had milled down that particular holder quite a bit - while looking for
              more information, I see Dorian style tool holders seem to have the
              tool channel much lower, than the aloris style

              >I've seen different size tool blanks used and even hacksaw blades for fine
              >tuning tool height. Obviously the snappy adjusting screw in a QCTP makes a
              >lot of this not neccesary if you plan on using the same tool over and over
              >again.
              >
              >The next question is do you have other tool holding modules in your pile of
              >goodies? -- or maybe some other brand will fit . . . ?
              >
              >Have fun,
              >L.H. in the Southern Ozarks

              >The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
              >Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

            • tk1161
              Message 8 of 8 , May 23, 2013
                On Mon, 20 May 2013 07:11:57 -0400, tmgsr@...:

                >not sure if this is ok here, but I bought a box of tooling and inside
                >was a Armstrong 81-011 QCTP it only has one holder with it and someone
                >had made the bolt and t nut to fit a big machine looks like,

                well I milled my T-nut to fit my atlas lathe and it is working fine!

                I did fund some more information on the Armstrong QCTP

                I just searched google differently this morning, a fellow on P.M. had
                posted the sizes according to his Armstrong catalog, the 81-011 like I
                have should be a bxa size post - not sure if it was ok to post a link
                to another forum or not here.