RE: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Loose tailstock?

  • Carvel Webb
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2013
      Scott has touched on it , in that some of the cylinders were made of Zamak .
      Much has been written about it , but in essence it is a zinc alloy , and
      some components were susceptible to 'zinc pest' causing the component to
      swell/break/disintegrate /distort easily .

      Once you get it out , then clean it up if it is still in one piece and try
      again - it should be a smooth sliding fit . If the problem recurs then get
      / make new ones ,

      I haven't had problems with the ones on my lathe , but my MFC Mill was a
      different story . Made replacements from phosphor bronze with the clamping
      surface machined to match the concave surface of the overarm it was required
      to clamp , and they work very nicely with a minimum of force ,

      Regards,

      Carvel