Re: Loose tailstock?

  • a8050266
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2013
      I do recall when I first visited restoring the TS. I did have a hell of a time getting the
      lower cylinder out. Perhaps it needs replacing?
      if it is indeed stuck. what causes this? seems to me they should both bee pretty free to
      travel up/down but not to free to get sideways.

      Perhaps I need to cut 2 new ones :/

      Advise?

      > On May 16, 2013, at 7:59 PM, wa5cab@... wrote:
      >
      > > It's possible that the lower lock cylinder may be frozen in place.

    • Scott Henion
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2013
        On 5/16/2013 11:43 PM, a8050266 wrote:
        > I do recall when I first visited restoring the TS. I did have a hell of a time getting the
        > lower cylinder out. Perhaps it needs replacing?
        > if it is indeed stuck. what causes this? seems to me they should both bee pretty free to
        > travel up/down but not to free to get sideways.
        >
        > Perhaps I need to cut 2 new ones :/
        >
        > Advise?

        Last year I cleaned up the tailstock on my 12x36. It was tight and had
        some burrs on the keyway. A bit of filing and it has been smooth.

        When making a T-nut a few days ago, I had locked the ram. After
        loosening it, the ram was very tight.

        Took it apart to find the ram chewed up along the bottom; well, galled
        is probably more descriptive. The two lock cylinders were very oddly
        worn and the lower one had obviously been run rotated by about 20
        degrees. So, it was mushroomed a bit and needed to be tapped out (the
        bolt was heavy enough to knock it through.)

        So, again I found my self filing the ram. It cleaned up ok.

        I hear some of the lock cylinders were zamak and others steel. I did not
        bother to check mine, but they seemed quite soft. I rotated them 180
        degrees and reassembled it for now (they have 2 beveled edges.)

        I think I'll make some out of brass. I'll also try to not let the lock
        handle get too loose so the lower cylinder is free to rotate.
        --

        ------------------------------------
        Scott G. Henion
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2013
          Scott has touched on it , in that some of the cylinders were made of Zamak .
          Much has been written about it , but in essence it is a zinc alloy , and
          some components were susceptible to 'zinc pest' causing the component to
          swell/break/disintegrate /distort easily .

          Once you get it out , then clean it up if it is still in one piece and try
          again - it should be a smooth sliding fit . If the problem recurs then get
          / make new ones ,

          I haven't had problems with the ones on my lathe , but my MFC Mill was a
          different story . Made replacements from phosphor bronze with the clamping
          surface machined to match the concave surface of the overarm it was required
          to clamp , and they work very nicely with a minimum of force ,

          Regards,

          Carvel

          I do recall when I first visited restoring the TS. I did have a hell of a
          time getting the lower cylinder out. Perhaps it needs replacing?
          if it is indeed stuck. what causes this? seems to me they should both bee
          pretty free to travel up/down but not to free to get sideways.

          Perhaps I need to cut 2 new ones :/

          Advise?

          > On May 16, 2013, at 7:59 PM, wa5cab@... wrote:
          >
          > > It's possible that the lower lock cylinder may be frozen in place.

          The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
          http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
          Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
          mailto://elson@...! Groups Links