Re: [atlas_craftsman] Loose tailstock?

  • Eggleston Lance
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2013
      The upper and lower locks are cut on an angle.
      When they contact the ram, they contact only a line.

      When you get them out and clean them up,
      use a rat tail file to shape the angle to a concave.
      This will give more contact area on the ram to
      lock it in place.

      lance
      ++++

      On May 16, 2013, at 7:59 PM, wa5cab@... wrote:

      It's possible that the lower lock cylinder may be frozen in place.

    • a8050266
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2013
        I do recall when I first visited restoring the TS. I did have a hell of a time getting the
        lower cylinder out. Perhaps it needs replacing?
        if it is indeed stuck. what causes this? seems to me they should both bee pretty free to
        travel up/down but not to free to get sideways.

        Perhaps I need to cut 2 new ones :/

        Advise?

        > On May 16, 2013, at 7:59 PM, wa5cab@... wrote:
        >
        > > It's possible that the lower lock cylinder may be frozen in place.

      • Scott Henion
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2013
          On 5/16/2013 11:43 PM, a8050266 wrote:
          > I do recall when I first visited restoring the TS. I did have a hell of a time getting the
          > lower cylinder out. Perhaps it needs replacing?
          > if it is indeed stuck. what causes this? seems to me they should both bee pretty free to
          > travel up/down but not to free to get sideways.
          >
          > Perhaps I need to cut 2 new ones :/
          >
          > Advise?

          Last year I cleaned up the tailstock on my 12x36. It was tight and had
          some burrs on the keyway. A bit of filing and it has been smooth.

          When making a T-nut a few days ago, I had locked the ram. After
          loosening it, the ram was very tight.

          Took it apart to find the ram chewed up along the bottom; well, galled
          is probably more descriptive. The two lock cylinders were very oddly
          worn and the lower one had obviously been run rotated by about 20
          degrees. So, it was mushroomed a bit and needed to be tapped out (the
          bolt was heavy enough to knock it through.)

          So, again I found my self filing the ram. It cleaned up ok.

          I hear some of the lock cylinders were zamak and others steel. I did not
          bother to check mine, but they seemed quite soft. I rotated them 180
          degrees and reassembled it for now (they have 2 beveled edges.)

          I think I'll make some out of brass. I'll also try to not let the lock
          handle get too loose so the lower cylinder is free to rotate.
          --

          ------------------------------------
          Scott G. Henion
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2013
            Scott has touched on it , in that some of the cylinders were made of Zamak .
            Much has been written about it , but in essence it is a zinc alloy , and
            some components were susceptible to 'zinc pest' causing the component to
            swell/break/disintegrate /distort easily .

            Once you get it out , then clean it up if it is still in one piece and try
            again - it should be a smooth sliding fit . If the problem recurs then get
            / make new ones ,

            I haven't had problems with the ones on my lathe , but my MFC Mill was a
            different story . Made replacements from phosphor bronze with the clamping
            surface machined to match the concave surface of the overarm it was required
            to clamp , and they work very nicely with a minimum of force ,

            Regards,

            Carvel

            I do recall when I first visited restoring the TS. I did have a hell of a
            time getting the lower cylinder out. Perhaps it needs replacing?
            if it is indeed stuck. what causes this? seems to me they should both bee
            pretty free to travel up/down but not to free to get sideways.

            Perhaps I need to cut 2 new ones :/

            Advise?

            > On May 16, 2013, at 7:59 PM, wa5cab@... wrote:
            >
            > > It's possible that the lower lock cylinder may be frozen in place.

            The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
            http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
            Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
            mailto://elson@...! Groups Links