Loose tailstock?

  • a8050266
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2013
      All,
      Im curios about my tailstock possibly being worn?
      the ram portion.
      Seems it has excessive side to side motion.
      easily detectable when turning on center.
      what is any is the standard to gage the its worn out factor?

      Perhaps something else worth noting. is it seems to take excessive force to lock it down.
      (locking the RAM into any position via the top handle)
      imho..

      Just to be clear the tailstock casting to bed factor seems pretty tight (good)

      Sam
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2013
        Sam,

        Given that it's hard to lock, and moves even when locked, the first thing that I would try is to remove the ram (run it out until it runs off the screw and then just pull it the rest of the way out.  Do this with the lock loosened but do not remove the handle.  Once the ram is out, try to pull the lock assembly out the top of the tailstock.  It's possible that the lower lock cylinder may be frozen in place.

        In a message dated 05/16/2013 18:15:23 PM Central Daylight Time, mail4sam@... writes:
        All,
        Im curios about my tailstock possibly being worn?
        the ram portion.
        Seems it has excessive side to side motion.
        easily detectable when turning on center.
        what is any is the standard to gage the its worn out factor?

        Perhaps something else worth noting. is it seems to take excessive force to lock it down.
        (locking the RAM into any position via the top handle)
        imho..

        Just to be clear the tailstock casting to bed factor seems pretty tight (good)

        Sam

        Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
      • Eggleston Lance
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2013
          The upper and lower locks are cut on an angle.
          When they contact the ram, they contact only a line.

          When you get them out and clean them up,
          use a rat tail file to shape the angle to a concave.
          This will give more contact area on the ram to
          lock it in place.

          lance
          ++++

          Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2013
            I do recall when I first visited restoring the TS. I did have a hell of a time getting the
            lower cylinder out. Perhaps it needs replacing?
            if it is indeed stuck. what causes this? seems to me they should both bee pretty free to
            travel up/down but not to free to get sideways.

            Perhaps I need to cut 2 new ones :/

            Advise?

            > On May 16, 2013, at 7:59 PM, wa5cab@... wrote:
            >
            > > It's possible that the lower lock cylinder may be frozen in place.

          • Scott Henion
            Message 5 of 6 , May 16, 2013
              On 5/16/2013 11:43 PM, a8050266 wrote:
              > I do recall when I first visited restoring the TS. I did have a hell of a time getting the
              > lower cylinder out. Perhaps it needs replacing?
              > if it is indeed stuck. what causes this? seems to me they should both bee pretty free to
              > travel up/down but not to free to get sideways.
              >
              > Perhaps I need to cut 2 new ones :/
              >
              > Advise?

              Last year I cleaned up the tailstock on my 12x36. It was tight and had
              some burrs on the keyway. A bit of filing and it has been smooth.

              When making a T-nut a few days ago, I had locked the ram. After
              loosening it, the ram was very tight.

              Took it apart to find the ram chewed up along the bottom; well, galled
              is probably more descriptive. The two lock cylinders were very oddly
              worn and the lower one had obviously been run rotated by about 20
              degrees. So, it was mushroomed a bit and needed to be tapped out (the
              bolt was heavy enough to knock it through.)

              So, again I found my self filing the ram. It cleaned up ok.

              I hear some of the lock cylinders were zamak and others steel. I did not
              bother to check mine, but they seemed quite soft. I rotated them 180
              degrees and reassembled it for now (they have 2 beveled edges.)

              I think I'll make some out of brass. I'll also try to not let the lock
              handle get too loose so the lower cylinder is free to rotate.
              --

              ------------------------------------
              Scott G. Henion
              Message 6 of 6 , May 16, 2013
                Scott has touched on it , in that some of the cylinders were made of Zamak .
                Much has been written about it , but in essence it is a zinc alloy , and
                some components were susceptible to 'zinc pest' causing the component to
                swell/break/disintegrate /distort easily .

                Once you get it out , then clean it up if it is still in one piece and try
                again - it should be a smooth sliding fit . If the problem recurs then get
                / make new ones ,

                I haven't had problems with the ones on my lathe , but my MFC Mill was a
                different story . Made replacements from phosphor bronze with the clamping
                surface machined to match the concave surface of the overarm it was required
                to clamp , and they work very nicely with a minimum of force ,

                Regards,

                Carvel

                I do recall when I first visited restoring the TS. I did have a hell of a
                time getting the lower cylinder out. Perhaps it needs replacing?
                if it is indeed stuck. what causes this? seems to me they should both bee
                pretty free to travel up/down but not to free to get sideways.

                Perhaps I need to cut 2 new ones :/

                Advise?

                > On May 16, 2013, at 7:59 PM, wa5cab@... wrote:
                >
                > > It's possible that the lower lock cylinder may be frozen in place.

                The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
                http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
                mailto://elson@...! Groups Links