Re: New guy with a question

  • ksierens
    Message 1 of 12 , May 12, 2013
      That would be the "atlas618lathe" group, I belong to that one also.

      Message 2 of 12 , May 12, 2013
        Chase,

        There are five Atlas metal working machine tools related groups on Yahoo.  This is the main one which officially caters to any vintage metal working machinery made by Atlas and/or sold by Sears under the Craftsman badge.  This group has no "official" photo, probably because no one would agree as to what photo would be representative.  :-) There are two groups used only for additional file or photo storage space (atlas_craftsman_projects and atlas_craftsman_pics).  And there are two specialty groups, atlasshaperandmillingmachineusersgroup and Atlas618lathe.  The photo of the incomplete and modified blue 618 or 101.21400 with the DC motor belongs to the latter.  Possibly someone on the 618 list will know who owns it.  You will find 618 related traffic on both this group and the 618 group but possibly more on the latter.

        Robert Downs - Houston
        Files, Photos & Databases Moderator

        Message 3 of 12 , May 12, 2013
          Oh, and welcome aboard.  There is enough 6" related traffice to make it worthwhile belonging to both groups.  And cross posting (same thread on both groups) is relatively rare.

          In a message dated 05/12/2013 19:49:28 PM Central Daylight Time, chase0073@... writes:
          Hello all,
          So I'm actually purchasing a 618 this week so I found this group in my search. Very nice and active group so far. So my question is...when I first found this site it had a awesome picture of a lathe that is blue and appears to have a treadmill motor on it. I was just curious if someone here owns that gem and is there any write ups about it? Would love to know more.
          Thanks

          Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
        • db45acp
          Message 4 of 12 , May 12, 2013
            Try this link Chase, for the excellent photo to which you refer.
            It is on the 618 specific group site.
            You might further search the Photos Files to see if there are more photos there, or contact the Group Administrator.
            I am a member of that group as well, but, sorry to say, I am at a loss with who all the admins are, for what groups.

            Whomever it is, may know more about the blue lathe.

            -Dan

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "chase0073" <chase0073@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > So I'm actually purchasing a 618 this week so I found this group in my search. Very nice and active group so far. So my question is...when I first found this site it had a awesome picture of a lathe that is blue and appears to have a treadmill motor on it. I was just curious if someone here owns that gem and is there any write ups about it? Would love to know more.
            > Thanks

          • chase0073
            Message 5 of 12 , May 13, 2013

              Message 6 of 12 , May 13, 2013
                wa5cab@... wrote:
                > This group has no "official" photo, probably because no one would
                > agree as to what photo would be representative.
                Geez! I didn't realize that! Anybody have a suggestion, maybe from the
                photos
                section?

                My guess (might be WAY off) is that Yahoo defaulted to the first picture
                in the
                photos section, and during a cleanup we deleted that picture. If we can
                find
                a good picture that even looks like a lathe in the thumbnail of the "my
                groups"
                list, we ought to make that our group photo. Send me your suggestions!

                Jon
              • ksierens
                Message 7 of 12 , May 13, 2013
                  Maybe the moderator could take turns showing different members pictures if they want?

                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

                  > wa5cab@... wrote:
                  > > This group has no "official" photo, probably because no one would
                  > > agree as to what photo would be representative.
                  > Geez! I didn't realize that! Anybody have a suggestion, maybe from the
                  > photos
                  > section?
                  >
                  > My guess (might be WAY off) is that Yahoo defaulted to the first picture
                  > in the
                  > photos section, and during a cleanup we deleted that picture. If we can
                  > find
                  > a good picture that even looks like a lathe in the thumbnail of the "my
                  > groups"
                  > list, we ought to make that our group photo. Send me your suggestions!
                  >
                  > Jon

                • Shawn Chase
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 13, 2013
                    I like that idea

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 13, 2013
                      From reading emails over the past year or more, I suspect that the most common model to turn up here is the Craftsman 101.07403, maybe followed by the Atlas 10F (any variant) or the 101.27430/440 or 07403's with added QCGB.  I haven't searched the photo section for a possible candidate (although I did spend some time several months ago slightly editing the album titles to start with Atlas or Craftsman followed by the model number so that they would sort in order).  Anyway, although I don't own one of them, I would suggest a photo of a restored and unmodified example of the above in an original color.

                      Robert D.

                      In a message dated 05/13/2013 11:08:25 AM Central Daylight Time, elson@... writes:
                      wa5cab@... wrote:
                      >   This group has no "official" photo, probably because no one would
                      >agree as to what photo would be representative.
                      Geez!  I didn't realize that!  Anybody have a suggestion, maybe from the
                      photos
                      section?

                      My guess (might be WAY off) is that Yahoo defaulted to the first picture
                      in the
                      photos section, and during a cleanup we deleted that picture.  If we can
                      find
                      a good picture that even looks like a lathe in the thumbnail of the "my
                      groups"
                      list, we ought to make that our group photo.  Send me your suggestions!

                      Jon

                    • f4d711
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 14, 2013

                        Enjoy!
                        Jim Peterson
                      • Shawn Chase
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 15, 2013
                          Wow that is one nice lathe. So I'm curious what is the thing at the end of the power feed screw? And are those dials for speed and feed rate all custom built? Very nice looking Lathe.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On May 14, 2013, at 11:28 PM, f4d711@... wrote:

                          Enjoy!
                          Jim Peterson