Re: [atlas_craftsman] Play in cross slide

  • Dave Pinella
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2013
      Another metric. The cross slide handle has about 180 degrees if play in it. The compound handle has maybe 20 degrees of play. How does this sound? I think the cross slide had too much play/slop but what do I know??

      Dave P

      On May 12, 2013, at 7:01 AM, Dave Pinella <dpinella@...> wrote:

      Hello all,

      I'm wondering if there is too much play in my cross slide. I loosen the gibs slightly to be able to manually move the cross slide the back and forth. I put a dial indicator on it and measure .035 inch. Is this too much? Should I look at a new brass nut, 10F-19??

      This same test on the compound has it pretty tight.

      Thanks!

      Dave P

      TH42

      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2013
        Dave P,

        180 degrees (0.050") is excessive.  With the gib screws properly adjusted, there are three sources of free motion in the cross slide.  The screw that attaches the cross feed screw nut is loose, cross feed screw end play or end float, and clearance between the cross feed screw and its nut.  Check that the nut screw is tight.  You may need to replace the nut (less likely to need to replace the screw) but before doing that, adjust the screw end float.  For talking or writing purposes, don't use degrees.  Use thousands of an inch read off of the dial with the dial zeroed at the CCW  end of the crank free motion.

        To adjust screw end float, loosen the smaller nut that holds the crank onto the screw about a quarter to a half turn.  Tighten the larger nut between the crank and dial about half a flat.  Tighten the crank nut.  It may take several times doing this but the goal is to end up with the large nut at the tightest position that causes no discernable drag on the crank while rotating it back and forth between the extremes of the thread clearance ( where the cross slide would just start to move).  I.e., very near zero end float.  At this point, the free motion left is thread clearance.  Before loosening the crank nut each time, I usually rotate the crank to where one of the corners of the large nut is at TDC (12:00 or pointed straight up).  A 6-point socket and breaker bar or T-handle driver work best on the crank nut.  And a tappet wrench on the dial nut.

        For reference, my 3996, which has been in intermittent service since January 1981, has 0.011" free crank motion on the compound and 0.023" on the cross slide.  I've no recollection of what it was new but am about to change out the nut.  If I remember to do so, I'll post the "after" figure.

        Robert D.

        In a message dated 05/12/2013 07:22:19 AM Central Daylight Time, dpinella@... writes:
        Another metric. The cross slide handle has about 180 degrees if play in it. The compound handle has maybe 20 degrees of play. How does this sound? I think the cross slide had too much play/slop but what do I know??

        Dave P

        On May 12, 2013, at 7:01 AM, Dave Pinella <dpinella@...> wrote:

          Hello all,

        I'm wondering if there is too much play in my cross slide. I loosen the gibs slightly to be able to manually move the cross slide the back and forth. I put a dial indicator on it and measure .035 inch. Is this too much? Should I look at a new brass nut, 10F-19??

        This same test on the compound has it pretty tight.

        Thanks!

        Dave P

        TH42

        Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
        Message 3 of 9 , May 12, 2013
          Dave P,

          The thread is 3/8-24.  A flat washer and standard nut won't work as there won't be enough thread left for the nut and you may strip the thread on either the screw or in the nut.

          I would just call Clausing.  However, if you make a jig to hold the nut, you can make one from a standard hex nut or from a jam nut.  The nut is a little thinner than a standard jam nut and there is a shoulder turned on the mating face.  The shoulder goes down in the counterbore on the outer end of the crank hub.

          Width across flats - 9/16"
          Height - 0.187"
          Height of shoulder - 0.072"
          Diameter of shoulder - 0.547

          Robert Downs - Houston

          In a message dated 05/12/2013 06:07:59 AM Central Daylight Time, dpinella@... writes:
          All,

          I'm missing the nut holding on the crank on the compound. 10D-262 on my TH42. 10 bucks on eBay. Huh? Will any nut do? I see it has a big of a flange on it. Can't I just use a nut and washer?

          What size nut is this? I need some gauge for determining threads. I ever had one. Any suggestions for this?

          Thanks as usual!

          Dave P

          PS: I learn s much just reading all the responses! Thanks from Loveland, OH!!!

        • dolphin_79605
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13, 2013
            The lathe manual addresses how to properly adjust the play with an easy to follow procedure. I set mine where it was comfortable last week.

            After reading your query I checked it with a dial indicator. Both are .003-.004".

            My tail stock on the other hand has more resistance to turning when unlocked and lubed than what I would have guessed or imagined. I was surprised to find this; I will investigate and hopefully correct.

            Best regards, Mick