Our 3996 back togeher

  • tk1161
    Message 1 of 69 , May 8 12:33 PM
    Some of you know I have found a cracked compound slide and damaged
    swivel , while is was apart, I replaced the carriage cross feed screw
    and nut, and the compound screw and nut ([put new nuts on really great
    shape screws,

    it's all back together, cleaned up and running again, here is a pic of
    it with the equipment I have for it, I go from 0-3/4 in chucks for it
    too

    I hope the upload works fine, I made it a small pic not to eat up much
    room

    tom
    Message 69 of 69 , May 12 5:13 PM
      Pretty much any dog will work if it's the right size.  :-)

      Armstrong made the same lathe dogs from at least the 30's until at least the 80's.  If you'll send me the Item Number, I'll take a look at them.

      Robert Downs - Houston

      In a message dated 05/12/2013 18:38:47 PM Central Daylight Time, tmgsr@... writes:
      >On Thu, 9 May 2013 11:28:17 -0400 (EDT), wa5cab@...:
      >
      >>Tom,
      >>
      >>The original No. 142A set of four sold by Atlas had openings to handle
      >>1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1-1/2".  I would think maybe anything larger might be getting
      >>too heavy.  I bought the set and the face plate to drive it when I bought
      >>my 3996 in 1981.  And have to admit that I've only ever used any of them a
      >>few times.  The two operations where you would definitely need them would be
      >>turning a taper by the tailstock set-over method and checking or setting
      >>tail-stock set over to zero.  The latter being the only usage I can actually
      >>remember.
      >
      >ok thank you!

      how do I tell if I'm buoying the correct dogs, there is s et now I was
      looking at, but they said something about them being made in 52, I do
      not see sizes or  part number on them, or will any dogs work?

      thanks!
      tom