Re: [atlas_craftsman] Greetings! New user to the group with a newly acquired TH42

  • Rexarino
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2013
      The half nuts and some of the other gears and levers in the apron are Zamac, as are most of the gears in the gear train.  On some lathes, the lead screw bearing bracket on the far right is Zamac or brass.  In any case, cleaners that attack zinc, aluminum or brass aren't a good choice when cleaning complex unknown equipment

      Rex Bosse
      Portland, Oregon

      On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:50 AM, J <rpoz28cam@...> wrote:

      Good Morning Dennis,

      Thank you for your good tips.  I presume the Zamac parts consist of the thread cutting gears, aren't they potted metal?  How about the half nut assembly, isn't it brass or bronze oil-light or however call it?  The ways have some light rust in some areas and I am trying to avoid degrading that surface at all.  The first thing I want to do is remove the carriage assembly from that way and free it up, (been real careful not to move the carriage over the way yet!) I suspect the bearings and gears will need a really good cleaning.  I know the carriage drive screw is really full of  grime and old grease, so I do have my work cut out for me.

      Thank you,

      JLM