[atlas_craftsman] Re: Atlas 10 gears pressure angle?

  • ebower
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 1999
      I would recommend to use cast iron gears.

      Remember, these gears were designed to break a tooth if
      there was a jam. Using steel will cause you to tear the threads in
      the half nuts and this may be more costly as time goes on.

      It is easy to repair a tooth with several little screws and some filing.
      You can not do this with the half nuts.

      I have had experience with gears and the above is more acceptable.

      Earl Bower
      ebower@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 1999
        Can you give some information on the Boston Gear sets? (Part numbers, etc.)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 1999
          ebower wrote:

          > I would recommend to use cast iron gears.
          >
          > Remember, these gears were designed to break a tooth if
          > there was a jam. Using steel will cause you to tear the threads in
          > the half nuts and this may be more costly as time goes on.

          I had several minor bind-ups and one major crash with my
          10" Atlas lathe, with change gears. I never saw a gear even get
          chipped a little, but the major crash (into the tailstock) broke
          almost everything BUT the gears. The frame that the change
          gears mount on, the reversing gearbox, some keys and the end
          bracket all got damaged. It was such a mess, it was no more
          expensive to retrofit the lathe with a quick-change gearbox.
          The Atlas manual says a sleeve in the end bracket is designed
          to give first when a crash occurs, but it apparently only works
          when feeding toward the headsock. Later 12" lathes (or maybe
          only Craftsman-labeled ones) had a breakaway clutch at the
          output of the QC gearbox. I think they use a shear pin in
          it.

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman