Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Need help with my motor wiring

    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2013
      Vince,

      OK.  When I wrote last night about removing wires from terminals, I should have said only those wires exiting the motor, not those coming from elsewhere inside the motor.  However, if you have a motor shop you can take it to, that sounds like the best idea.  They can clean, lube and test run the motor.  And in that case, I'd leave everything as is.

      FWIW, it is possible to wire the headstock switch to turn the motor on and off and also wire the reversing switch for FWD-OFF-REV.  If both switches are OFF, neither can turn the motor on.  If you have rug rats who like to fiddle with knobs and switches, that can be a good safety feature.

      Robert D.

      In a message dated 05/05/2013 03:53:32 AM Central Daylight Time, vince1aa@... writes:

      Wow....during my research a lot of answers said to join this group...I can see why.
      I have a good understanding of basic wiring and have a few meters.
      So looks like I'll be pulling the motor off today,from the files section I figured out that I had a reversing switch.

      Robert Downs - Houston
      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2013
        Vince,

        The half nuts are engaged.  The carriage is that whole assembly that is supposed to move left and right on the bed, and carries the cutter or other tools.  The apron is the front of the carriage.  At the right end of the apron, lift the lever that is currently pointing to about 4:30.  It should come up to about 1:30.  That should disengage the half nuts and allow the carriage traverse hand wheel (left end of the apron) to move the carriage up and down the bed.

        Robert D.

        In a message dated 05/05/2013 06:57:44 AM Central Daylight Time, vince1aa@... writes:
        Although I'm sure with the help of this board we could figure this out I've decided to take the motor and reversing switch to a electric shop to have it wired and checked out.
        On another note...everything seems to be turning fine except the main carriage...most likely I'm doing something wrong.
        I've found the knob that feeds the tool bit in...when I turn the handle it also turns the main feed screw...so all that is freed up.
        It just will not move up or down the bed.

        Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
      • Hahn Ernest
        Message 3 of 14 , May 6, 2013
          If you are planning to take the motor to an electrical shop and you also have a reversing switch,
          I recommend you take the switch along and have it wired correctly with the motor.  Then when you install
          it, make sure you tag the wires to make sure you have them attached to the correct contacts.  Best to have different colors of wire and then clip them off so you can then just match the colors to the correct terminals.
          When I bought my lathe I disconnected the wires and then could not figure out the correct attachment.
          If I had just clipped them off, I could have match the wires.

          Dick
        • Guenther Paul
          Message 4 of 14 , May 6, 2013
            The hook up of the wires should be a easy task. The terminal posts on the motor are marked for 110 v and 220 v also
            for reversing, all that's needed is a 3 wire cable after hook up a additional switch can be used for reversing. If you don't have a 3 wire cable use a 2nd 2 wire cable from the reversing switch to the motor

            GP