Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Threading dial on a 10f update....it really is working. but my brain hurts

  • Guenther Paul
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2013
      Randy
      It seams uncommon for the gear to wear out on the dial. If you need a new gear i would contact Clausing. You may save some money. 800-323-0972

      GP

      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2013
        just  keep the  1/2 nuts  engaged  & reverse  the  lathe ( electrically )
         best  wishes
        doc
        Don't feel bad. I got set up to thread and my 618's threading dial is
        missing.

        Regards

        cww

        jrw wrote:
        > Thanks for all the help.
        >
        > It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)
        >
        > Now to pratice threading!!!!
        >

        > Thanks again,,
        >

        > Randy
        >

        > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Hi,
        >> Thanks for all the info on the list.
        >> I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
        >>
        >> The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
        >>
        >> Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >>
        >> randy

        > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
        > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

      • cliveadams79
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2013
          That's how I've been doing it for the past 20-odd years - I've never had a threading dial on my Atlas . . .

          Can't be wrong!

          Clive

          jrw wrote:
          > Thanks for all the help.
          >
          > It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)
          >
          > Now to pratice threading!!!!
          >

          > Thanks again,,
          >

          > Randy
          >

          > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi,
          >> Thanks for all the info on the list.
          >> I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
          >>
          >> The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
          >>
          >> Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >>
          >> randy

          > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
          > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

        • Doc
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2013
            shud  have  also  added  that , you can  throw in the 1/2  nuts  at  ANY  place  for the  lead  screw pitch  or  multiples of it ...!....handy  on my circa  1916 monarch A w/ its  4 pitch  lead  screw .FWIW...some larger  lathes  w/ 2 pitch  screws  near  cover  all common thrds  cept  1/2 x 13

            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2013
              hard to  go wrong  w/  "old  school"
                 ciao

              jrw wrote:
              > Thanks for all the help.
              >
              > It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)
              >
              > Now to pratice threading!!!!
              >

              > Thanks again,,
              >

              > Randy
              >

              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hi,
              >> Thanks for all the info on the list.
              >> I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
              >>
              >> The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
              >>
              >> Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >>
              >> randy

              > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
              > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

            • Curt Wuollet
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                Thanks to all, since I just got a job again, I may spring for the $25 or
                so on e__y to get one in celebration. Need to check the metal places
                down the road for some stock as well. I haven't had much to play with.
                Money or time, seems like I never get to have both.

                Regards

                cww

                Doc wrote:

                > just keep the 1/2 nuts engaged & reverse the lathe ( electrically )
                > best wishes
                > doc

              • Chris Gilbert
                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2013