Early Atlas

  • frahmz
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2013
      Ok I guess I can post pictures just not sure how to combine with the text, However the pictures are listed as Early Atlas and I need some info and parts.Missing a grease cap on the countershaft, Is there a locking collar or ring for the countershaft that goes on before the grease cap? Can't identify what the model may be and where could I find a parts list for it, the guy I got it from had a 1 hp motor attached to it so I know I have to do some work there and I have a box full of pieces. Thanks, Eric
    • Eggleston Lance
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2013
        1- It's an Atlas 10D. Very common model. No power cross feed.
        2- the grease cap screws on, no collar.
        3-eBay has parts for these $$$
        4- hope you have lead screw, gears, F/R box.
        5-looks to be in decent restorable shape.
        6.remove apron and inspect traverse case, mitre gear/housing, half nuts...
        these are oft broken parts and can be spendy to replace.

        I may have repaired headstock gear covers for this.
        Will send parts diagram via pm.

        lance
        ++++

        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2013
          A 1 HP motor is really too large for a 3996 12".  Anything over 1/2 HP is overkill on a 10".

          You will find a 10D parts list in the Group's Files section, under Manuals, Atlas or Atlas-Craftsman Lathes.  Unfortunately, Atlas did not start doing the much more useful exploded parts list drawings until the 10F and late 101.07403 model manuals in the 1950's.  So the early parts lists are not as useful as the later ones.  And generally tend to be poor quality copies of copies of copies.  The only exception seems to be the 618, which basically didn't change over its entire production life.

          In a message dated 05/02/2013 19:29:55 PM Central Daylight Time, frahmz@... writes:
          Ok I guess I can post pictures just not sure how to combine with the text, However the pictures are listed as Early Atlas and I need some info and parts.Missing a grease cap on the countershaft, Is there a locking collar or ring for the countershaft that goes on before the grease cap? Can't identify what the model may be and where could I find a parts list for it, the guy I got it from had a 1 hp motor attached to it so I know I have to do some work there and I have a box full of pieces. Thanks, Eric

          Robert Downs - Houston
        • frahmz
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2013
            Thanks so much for the input, I just picked it up the headstock bearings seem tight and look good after removing the cap, I figured the motor wasn't right given it's size.I hope to really get into it in the next couple of weeks. I appreciate your help. Eric