Re: [atlas_craftsman] Threading dial on a 10f

    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2013
      Randy,

      The threading dial is turned by relative left to right or right to left motion between the threads on the lead screw and the gear on the bottom of the dial shaft.  When you engage the half nuts, the carriage starts moving down the lead screw at the same rate as the trough in the lead screw that the gear tooth is currently engaged in.  So the gear (and the dial) stops turning.  Or to put it another way, that's what's supposed to happen.  The dial stops at the mark it was passing at the instant the half nuts engaged.  And stays there so long as the half nuts are engaged.  Move the carriage all the way to the tailstock end (assuming that the carriage is going to move to the left), start the motor and engage the carriage drive (half nuts).  Squat down and look at the lead screw, letting your eyes track to the left with the carriage.  Don't get mesmerized and run the carriage into the chuck or headstock!!

      Robert D.

      In a message dated 05/01/2013 21:59:09 PM Central Daylight Time, suncat33770@... writes:
      Hi,
      Thanks for all the info on the list.
      I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f.  I finally got everything operational  and  now have a threading dial/gear problem.

      The threading dial seems to work fine as  long as I have not engaged the half nuts.   When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the  dial stops turning.   Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.

      Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn??  I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay.  Before I throw  another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.

      Thanks,

      randy

      Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
    • jrw
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2013
        Thanks for all the help.

        It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)

        Now to pratice threading!!!!

        Thanks again,,

        Randy

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Thanks for all the info on the list.
        > I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
        >
        > The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
        >
        > Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > randy

      • Curt Wuollet
        Message 3 of 14 , May 2, 2013
          Don't feel bad. I got set up to thread and my 618's threading dial is
          missing.

          Regards

          cww

          jrw wrote:
          > Thanks for all the help.
          >
          > It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)
          >
          > Now to pratice threading!!!!
          >

          > Thanks again,,
          >

          > Randy
          >

          > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi,
          >> Thanks for all the info on the list.
          >> I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
          >>
          >> The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
          >>
          >> Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >>
          >> randy

          > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
          > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

        • Guenther Paul
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2013
            Randy
            It seams uncommon for the gear to wear out on the dial. If you need a new gear i would contact Clausing. You may save some money. 800-323-0972

            GP

            It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)

            Now to pratice threading!!!!

            Thanks again,,

            Randy

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > Thanks for all the info on the list.
            > I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
            >
            > The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
            >
            > Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > randy

          • Doc
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2013
              just  keep the  1/2 nuts  engaged  & reverse  the  lathe ( electrically )
               best  wishes
              doc

              jrw wrote:
              > Thanks for all the help.
              >
              > It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)
              >
              > Now to pratice threading!!!!
              >

              > Thanks again,,
              >

              > Randy
              >

              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hi,
              >> Thanks for all the info on the list.
              >> I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
              >>
              >> The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
              >>
              >> Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >>
              >> randy

              > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
              > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

            • cliveadams79
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                That's how I've been doing it for the past 20-odd years - I've never had a threading dial on my Atlas . . .

                Can't be wrong!

                Clive

                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                  shud  have  also  added  that , you can  throw in the 1/2  nuts  at  ANY  place  for the  lead  screw pitch  or  multiples of it ...!....handy  on my circa  1916 monarch A w/ its  4 pitch  lead  screw .FWIW...some larger  lathes  w/ 2 pitch  screws  near  cover  all common thrds  cept  1/2 x 13

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                    hard to  go wrong  w/  "old  school"
                       ciao

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                      Thanks to all, since I just got a job again, I may spring for the $25 or
                      so on e__y to get one in celebration. Need to check the metal places
                      down the road for some stock as well. I haven't had much to play with.
                      Money or time, seems like I never get to have both.

                      Regards

                      cww

                      Doc wrote:

                      > just keep the 1/2 nuts engaged & reverse the lathe ( electrically )
                      > best wishes
                      > doc

                    • Chris Gilbert
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 4, 2013