Threading dial on a 10f

  • jrw
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2013
      Hi,
      Thanks for all the info on the list.
      I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.

      The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.

      Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.

      Thanks,

      randy
    • Bruce .
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2013
        Seems to me we've been over this recently with somebody else.

        The dial isn't supposed to turn when the half nuts are engaged.  The purpose of the dial is to get the cutting bit back to the beginning of the thread you're cutting, so you can cut a thread using multiple passes without screwing it up.  Any basic manual on using a lathe should cover this.

        --
        Bruce
        NJ
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2013
          On 5/1/2013 10:59 PM, jrw wrote:
          > Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.

          The threading dial measures the position of the leads screw relative to
          the carriage.

          Once you engage the half nuts, the carriage is synced with one point on
          the lead screw so it does not rotate.

          Basically it says the half nuts are in the 1,2,3 or 4 groove. It rotates
          so you can put them in the right groove.

          In other words, it is working right.

          --

          ------------------------------------
          Scott G. Henion
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2013
            The dial is supposed to stop turning when you engage the halfnuts. It
            turns because it's following the screw, once the halfnuts are engaged
            the carriage and gear are both following the screw.

            Regards

            cww

            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2013
              Randy,

              The threading dial is turned by relative left to right or right to left motion between the threads on the lead screw and the gear on the bottom of the dial shaft.  When you engage the half nuts, the carriage starts moving down the lead screw at the same rate as the trough in the lead screw that the gear tooth is currently engaged in.  So the gear (and the dial) stops turning.  Or to put it another way, that's what's supposed to happen.  The dial stops at the mark it was passing at the instant the half nuts engaged.  And stays there so long as the half nuts are engaged.  Move the carriage all the way to the tailstock end (assuming that the carriage is going to move to the left), start the motor and engage the carriage drive (half nuts).  Squat down and look at the lead screw, letting your eyes track to the left with the carriage.  Don't get mesmerized and run the carriage into the chuck or headstock!!

              Robert D.

              In a message dated 05/01/2013 21:59:09 PM Central Daylight Time, suncat33770@... writes:
              Hi,
              Thanks for all the info on the list.
              I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f.  I finally got everything operational  and  now have a threading dial/gear problem.

              The threading dial seems to work fine as  long as I have not engaged the half nuts.   When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the  dial stops turning.   Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.

              Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn??  I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay.  Before I throw  another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.

              Thanks,

              randy

              Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
            • jrw
              Message 6 of 14 , May 2, 2013
                Thanks for all the help.

                It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)

                Now to pratice threading!!!!

                Thanks again,,

                Randy

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > Thanks for all the info on the list.
                > I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
                >
                > The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
                >
                > Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > randy

              • Curt Wuollet
                Message 7 of 14 , May 2, 2013
                  Don't feel bad. I got set up to thread and my 618's threading dial is
                  missing.

                  Regards

                  cww

                  jrw wrote:
                  > Thanks for all the help.
                  >
                  > It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)
                  >
                  > Now to pratice threading!!!!
                  >

                  > Thanks again,,
                  >

                  > Randy
                  >

                  > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi,
                  >> Thanks for all the info on the list.
                  >> I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
                  >>
                  >> The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
                  >>
                  >> Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks,
                  >>
                  >> randy

                  > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                  > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

                • Guenther Paul
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                    Randy
                    It seams uncommon for the gear to wear out on the dial. If you need a new gear i would contact Clausing. You may save some money. 800-323-0972

                    GP

                    It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)

                    Now to pratice threading!!!!

                    Thanks again,,

                    Randy

                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    > Thanks for all the info on the list.
                    > I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
                    >
                    > The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
                    >
                    > Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > randy

                  • Doc
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                      just  keep the  1/2 nuts  engaged  & reverse  the  lathe ( electrically )
                       best  wishes
                      doc

                      jrw wrote:
                      > Thanks for all the help.
                      >
                      > It still does not feel good to see the carriage moving and the lead screw turing and the threading dial not moving:) I understand but it still hurts my wee brain:)
                      >
                      > Now to pratice threading!!!!
                      >

                      > Thanks again,,
                      >

                      > Randy
                      >

                      > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "jrw" <suncat33770@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Hi,
                      >> Thanks for all the info on the list.
                      >> I am trying to learn to thread on my 1951 Atlas 10f. I finally got everything operational and now have a threading dial/gear problem.
                      >>
                      >> The threading dial seems to work fine as long as I have not engaged the half nuts. When I engage the half nuts every thing moves as I think it should but the dial stops turning. Have tried to loosen the bolt holding dial and reposition the dial as the half nuts are engaged but can never get the dial to engage and turn.
                      >>
                      >> Could it be as simple as the dial gear being worn?? I found a supplier of new threading dial gears on eBay. Before I throw another 20 dollars I thought I would ask if there is something I am missing about threading dials and their use.
                      >>
                      >> Thanks,
                      >>
                      >> randy

                      > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                      > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

                    • cliveadams79
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                        That's how I've been doing it for the past 20-odd years - I've never had a threading dial on my Atlas . . .

                        Can't be wrong!

                        Clive

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                          shud  have  also  added  that , you can  throw in the 1/2  nuts  at  ANY  place  for the  lead  screw pitch  or  multiples of it ...!....handy  on my circa  1916 monarch A w/ its  4 pitch  lead  screw .FWIW...some larger  lathes  w/ 2 pitch  screws  near  cover  all common thrds  cept  1/2 x 13

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                            hard to  go wrong  w/  "old  school"
                               ciao

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 3, 2013
                              Thanks to all, since I just got a job again, I may spring for the $25 or
                              so on e__y to get one in celebration. Need to check the metal places
                              down the road for some stock as well. I haven't had much to play with.
                              Money or time, seems like I never get to have both.

                              Regards

                              cww

                              Doc wrote:

                              > just keep the 1/2 nuts engaged & reverse the lathe ( electrically )
                              > best wishes
                              > doc

                            • Chris Gilbert
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 4, 2013