Re: [atlas_craftsman] 3996 crossfeed nuts class 4g

    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 30, 2013
      Well, at least you didn't pay much more for used than for new, which can easily happen if you only buy on eBay.  And, as you said, you got a complete compound slide assembly.  Two sets of parts to choose from.

      In a message dated 04/30/2013 16:15:27 PM Central Daylight Time, tmgsr@... writes:
      On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:43:05 -0400 (EDT), wa5cab@...:

      >Not to worry.  I missed those, somehow.  They are the correct parts for the
      >3996,
      >
      >Although Sears didn't start calling the 1/2" machines "Commercial" until
      >1969, the term has come to be applied to all of the 1/2" thick way machines.

      ok, thanks, now for the good laugh
      I got the price quote from clausing on the broken parts, I will never
      admit in public I would had bought the lower 9swivel0 base for darn
      close to the exact price I paid used, same for the top part, that was
      broken, but on the compound part I got everything instead of just the
      one cast piece <g> plus I did get a cross slide screw

      Tom-  I know I know, this IS  public <g>

      Robert Downs - Houston
      Message 69 of 69 , May 12, 2013
        Pretty much any dog will work if it's the right size.  :-)

        Armstrong made the same lathe dogs from at least the 30's until at least the 80's.  If you'll send me the Item Number, I'll take a look at them.

        Robert Downs - Houston

        In a message dated 05/12/2013 18:38:47 PM Central Daylight Time, tmgsr@... writes:
        >On Thu, 9 May 2013 11:28:17 -0400 (EDT), wa5cab@...:
        >
        >>Tom,
        >>
        >>The original No. 142A set of four sold by Atlas had openings to handle
        >>1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1-1/2".  I would think maybe anything larger might be getting
        >>too heavy.  I bought the set and the face plate to drive it when I bought
        >>my 3996 in 1981.  And have to admit that I've only ever used any of them a
        >>few times.  The two operations where you would definitely need them would be
        >>turning a taper by the tailstock set-over method and checking or setting
        >>tail-stock set over to zero.  The latter being the only usage I can actually
        >>remember.
        >
        >ok thank you!

        how do I tell if I'm buoying the correct dogs, there is s et now I was
        looking at, but they said something about them being made in 52, I do
        not see sizes or  part number on them, or will any dogs work?

        thanks!
        tom