Spindle tail thread problem***UPDATE*** and Request

  • David Weaver
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2013

      Thanks to all that helped with this problem.  I ended up getting the thread files and still not being able to reinstall the old threaded collar at the end of the spindle, so, I bought a new one from Clausing.  With a pair of thick rubber gloves for an improved grip I was able to thread it on!  Hallelujah!  Now I’m ready to reassemble the spindle and get the 618 back in operation, except I only want to reassemble it ONCE!  No trial and error.

      I’m sure this question has been asked at least 50 times before on this forum, but could someone please provide me a straight forward procedure for reassembly?

      Thanks!

      Dave

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2013
        Dave,

        Download the Atlas Technical Bulletin from the atlas_craftsman_projects Files section under Repair and Maintenance.

        The one thing that Bulletin does not address is the fact that the left hand spindle bearing cone is usually a light press fit on the spindle.  Which you would not assume from the writeup.  But this has been the case with all recent reports from 10F and 12" owners.  So I suspect it's going to be true of the 618 as well.  To get around this, you need to heat the cone to about 200 F.  You can do this in a small toaster over set next to the lathe.  Or someone recently wrote that the way it used to be done in auto repair shops to install the ball bearings on the axle half shafts of light duty passenger car rear axles was to set the bearing on top of a base-down 100 watt incandescant lamp for about 15 minutes (obviously won't work with CIF or LED equivalents).

        In a message dated 04/30/2013 21:13:55 PM Central Daylight Time, abigalesdad@... writes:

        Thanks to all that helped with this problem.  I ended up getting the thread files and still not being able to reinstall the old threaded collar at the end of the spindle, so, I bought a new one from Clausing.  With a pair of thick rubber gloves for an improved grip I was able to thread it on!  Hallelujah!  Now I’m ready to reassemble the spindle and get the 618 back in operation, except I only want to reassemble it ONCE!  No trial and error.

        I’m sure this question has been asked at least 50 times before on this forum, but could someone please provide me a straight forward procedure for reassembly?

        Thanks!

        Dave

        Robert Downs - Houston