Re: [atlas_craftsman] 3996 crossfeed nuts class 4g

  • DennisF MacIntyre
    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 29, 2013
      Dear Robert 2013/04/29   08:46 ESST

         If you check  the late Uncle Dave Gingery's book "The Metal Lathe" page 59, he goes into detail about how to pour one. Personally if I were about to make one from brass I would try to get a nut in the size of the lead screw and about 2 or 3 inches long. I would solder or braze a backing plate to the side of it with a center hole in the backing plate. it would be a simple matter of cutting the bottom of one end away and the top of the other end away. Conversley, if you were not able to find a long nut and didn't want to make one, then you could purchace two brass nuts and then fit a threaded rod through them; space them as far appart as you would want and then brase them to the backing plate. After they are attached to the backing plate, then you can remove the threaded rod, now cut the bottom of one nut and the top of the other away and Bobs your uncle. Having the threaded rod in place while securing the nuts to the backing plate makes sure the threads will line up with the lead screw threads later.

      I think (Is it ) the Lyndsey Press that sells the Gingery series? the lathe book, number two in the series haas the Library of Congres Catalogue Number 80-661442  Internation Standard ISBN 1-878087-01-0

      METAL SHOP FROM SCRAP  P.O. Box 9123, Springfield, MO    65801-9123

      keep smiling

      dennis mac
      dennis mac

      Message 69 of 69 , May 12, 2013
        Pretty much any dog will work if it's the right size.  :-)

        Armstrong made the same lathe dogs from at least the 30's until at least the 80's.  If you'll send me the Item Number, I'll take a look at them.

        Robert Downs - Houston

        In a message dated 05/12/2013 18:38:47 PM Central Daylight Time, tmgsr@... writes:
        >On Thu, 9 May 2013 11:28:17 -0400 (EDT), wa5cab@...:
        >
        >>Tom,
        >>
        >>The original No. 142A set of four sold by Atlas had openings to handle
        >>1/2", 3/4", 1" and 1-1/2".  I would think maybe anything larger might be getting
        >>too heavy.  I bought the set and the face plate to drive it when I bought
        >>my 3996 in 1981.  And have to admit that I've only ever used any of them a
        >>few times.  The two operations where you would definitely need them would be
        >>turning a taper by the tailstock set-over method and checking or setting
        >>tail-stock set over to zero.  The latter being the only usage I can actually
        >>remember.
        >
        >ok thank you!

        how do I tell if I'm buoying the correct dogs, there is s et now I was
        looking at, but they said something about them being made in 52, I do
        not see sizes or  part number on them, or will any dogs work?

        thanks!
        tom