where's Clausing?

  • JeffD
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2013
      Hi Guys --I broke my 10 F again. I wrote to Clausing , but the Goshen office I am told was closed in 2010. I faxed my order for two gears to the number supplied on the net , but have no reply in over 1 week. I have one of those jobs that prohibit me from making personal calls during the day- Can any of you Gents tell me what is up with them? Kindest regards, Jeff Davies , San Ramon, CA
    • Guenther Paul
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25, 2013
        Jeff
        Clausing closed there service center in Goshen,Ind, they are in Kalamazoo,Mi  800-323-0972, info@...

        GP

        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2013
          HI Guys - This is what I learned : Clausing can no longer sell old Atlas parts direct to customers in California, this activity is now controlled by others including MSC, whom I have never had a problem with , but I wanted to order from the splendid Jolene Olds, at the Kalamazoo location . So I moved to Texas . Kindest regards , JJ. P/S, since am lacking a personal assistant, this took a long time to figure out, after work !
        • Guenther Paul
          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2013
            Jeff
            Clausing is in Kalamazoo,Mi yes i was told parts cant be shipped west you have to buy from a distributor and that makes the price go up. If you want me to help you to get the part let me know. I live in Michigan 1 hour south of kalamazoo. Call Clausing  800-323-0972 you could have the part shipped to me and i will send it on to you if that makes it easier for you
            GP

            HI Guys - This is what I learned : Clausing can no longer sell old Atlas parts direct to customers in California, this activity is now controlled by others including MSC, whom I have never had a problem with , but I wanted to order from the splendid Jolene Olds, at the Kalamazoo location . So I moved to Texas . Kindest regards , JJ. P/S, since am lacking a personal assistant, this took a long time to figure out, after work !

          • anthrhodes
            Message 5 of 7 , May 8, 2013
              Jeff and Paul,

              The issue isn't shipping. I've ordered through the California dealer and had the items shipped directly from Clausing. I'm certain that the problem is Clausing doesn't want to deal with sales tax, which California at least, is demanding that major sellers collect from the parties to whom they sell, then forward the funds to the state. I don't know if there are other states which are also in this boycott status for direct ordering and sales.

              The consequence is that we, the tax payers and voters, are prevented from getting the best information and most direct service which the manufacturer or seller can provide. It's more important to the politicians that they should be able to collect the last shekel to line their slush funds with than that the people whom they are sworn to serve should be able to access the best and quickest information and service. It's been difficult for me to learn the lesson that the sole function of the residents and citizens is to furnish the politicians and bureaucrats with whatever the decide they need.

              Anthony
              Berkeley, Calif.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2013
                Clausing's reasons for not shipping to individual customers in California may be for reasons other than to avoid handling the California sales tax.

                Many manufacturers seeking a broader distribution market for their products enter into agreements with distributors, often called "resellers" in today's marketing jargon, in which the reseller is granted exclusive rights to all sales within a defined geographical territory. The manufacturer agrees to not make direct sales to end customers in that territory and refers all sales inquiries for that territory to the reseller. This protects the reseller from having to compete with their vendor.

                Such agreements typically include a lower price point for sales from the manufacturer to the reseller in exchange for improved market coverage and the simplicity of having an agent handle all sales within that territory. Sometimes there are multiple resellers who then must compete against each other, but none will have to compete against the manufacturer.

                I can't say for certain this is what you see here, but I think it is highly likely.

                - raymond

                Message 7 of 7 , May 8, 2013
                  Hi Paul--Your offer is very kind , But have made other arrangements. None the less , your compassion is appreciated and is a perfect example of why this group is one of the best on the net . Kindest regards, JJ