Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Altas 10f Spindle Bearing fit

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 21, 2013
      Randy,

      Yes, basically all that you wrote is correct.  Except that the bearings aren't very similar to trailer wheel bearings.  They are the same basic type as trailer wheel bearings, most automobile front wheel bearings, decent vehicle rear wheel bearings, etc.  The whole family of bearings are called, as shown in any Atlas manual, tapered roller bearings.  And just as with wheel bearings, you have to pre-load them to get zero end float.

      The bearing does have to move on the shaft to preload it.  After that. it should not move on the shaft.  So being locked in place by a light press fit doesn't hurt anything once you get it to the correct position.

      Read the preload instruction in the tech bulletin.  Heat and install the bearing and run the collar up against the bearing finger snug and let it cool.  Check and confirm that there is no end float.  If there is, tighten the collar about half a tooth at a time until you get zero end float.  Then tighten the collar two teeth.  Confirm that the spindle turns freely.  Tighten the set screw against the brass plug under it.  Make lots of parts.

      In a message dated 04/21/2013 23:46:29 PM Central Daylight Time, suncat33770@... writes:
      Robert,
      First thanks for all the effort!!

      I think my bearing are called tapered, very similar to trailer wheel bearings.  I think the thread collar, used to adjust the preset, moves a gear and a  spacer that only applies pressure to the center race on the gear.  I think the inner race has to move on the spindle in order to load and unload the preset.  Just like you would adjust a trailer bearing after repacking.

      Maybe I am all wet:)  But I really think the bearing has to move on the shaft. That way you can adjust the distance between the two bearing, left and right, to take up any movement??

      Make any sense???

      I may just heat it up, install it and see what happens:)

      Thanks again for all the help.............

      sleepy randy

      Robert Downs - Houston
    • jrw
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24, 2013
        Robert,
        First thanks for the tip on heating the bearing. It slipped on almost 2/3 of the way before it cooled. Then use a block to tap it the reat of the way. I tighened the nust til I have all the the play out. I back off the nut a little and taped the sindle with a brass hammer til I felt a little play. Then I did the 2 tooth adj method you described. I did polish the spindle a little before all this.

        the only thing I would have done differently is to make a delrin sleve to tap the bearing into place before I took the lathe apart:)

        Almost ready to try threading!!!

        Again thanks for the help and patience!!!!

        Randy

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@... wrote:

        > Randy,
        >
        > Yes, basically all that you wrote is correct. Except that the bearings
        > aren't very similar to trailer wheel bearings. They are the same basic type as
        > trailer wheel bearings, most automobile front wheel bearings, decent
        > vehicle rear wheel bearings, etc. The whole family of bearings are called, as
        > shown in any Atlas manual, tapered roller bearings. And just as with wheel
        > bearings, you have to pre-load them to get zero end float.
        >
        > The bearing does have to move on the shaft to preload it. After that. it
        > should not move on the shaft. So being locked in place by a light press fit
        > doesn't hurt anything once you get it to the correct position.
        >
        > Read the preload instruction in the tech bulletin. Heat and install the
        > bearing and run the collar up against the bearing finger snug and let it cool.
        > Check and confirm that there is no end float. If there is, tighten the
        > collar about half a tooth at a time until you get zero end float. Then
        > tighten the collar two teeth. Confirm that the spindle turns freely. Tighten the
        > set screw against the brass plug under it. Make lots of parts.
        >
        > In a message dated 04/21/2013 23:46:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
        > suncat33770@... writes:
        > > Robert,
        > > First thanks for all the effort!!
        > >
        > > I think my bearing are called tapered, very similar to trailer wheel
        > > bearings. I think the thread collar, used to adjust the preset, moves a gear
        > > and a spacer that only applies pressure to the center race on the gear. I
        > > think the inner race has to move on the spindle in order to load and unload
        > > the preset. Just like you would adjust a trailer bearing after repacking.
        > >

        > > Maybe I am all wet:) But I really think the bearing has to move on the
        > > shaft. That way you can adjust the distance between the two bearing, left and
        > > right, to take up any movement??
        > >
        > > Make any sense???
        > >
        > > I may just heat it up, install it and see what happens:)
        > >
        > > Thanks again for all the help.............
        > >
        > > sleepy randy
        > >

        > Robert Downs - Houston
        > wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
        > MVPA 9480

      • c_h_a_r_t_n_y
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24, 2013
          Old School way of bearing heat.
          Have 100W light bulb, base down. Put bearing on the bulb and light for 15 minutes. Handle with a glove. Heats the inner race just about right for bearings~1" id and larger.

          Used often for install of "press on" bearings on rear axle of old style cars. Not pressed on but heated and rammed on with a section of pipe, washer to impart inpact to inner race, and appropriate size of iron pipe. End of axle on concrete block or anvil.

          Been there, done that!

          -chart-