Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: 12' Atlas Lathe, quickchange gearbox troubles

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 20, 2013
      Glenn,

      Besides the body and the cap, there are two thick plain washers and a keyed washer (between them) inside.  It is exactly like a miniature wheel bearing washer.  The ones I'm familiar with would fit around the outside of the cap but front wheel bearing washers on economy cars would be much smaller.  Probably that's what Atlas used.  It just didn't occur to me.

      Yeah, I suspect some of the eBay sellers don't realize Clausing is still in business.  :-)

      Robert D.

      In a message dated 04/20/2013 16:45:25 PM Central Daylight Time, glennsneff@... writes:
      I don't recall a keyed washer.  It has been about 5 years since I messed with it and I barely remember it had an inside and an outside with washers in it though.  If it had been something tricky I would have remembered it...Maybe :(  A wheel bearing washer comes to mind though.

      I agree about the Sears sentiment, but it is also a nice way to cross check.  I know you can still get new half nuts at Clausing for less than they sell for on E-bay used.

      Glenn

    • sapperd06
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 20, 2013
        Original poster never stated what gears he needed. So it is hard to step forward and help with only knowing "The longest shaft is bent slightly, and a couple of gears are ripped up" That order from any member, Jolene at Clausing, sears parts or anyone else in the world, would be hard to fill. More info needed. Post part numbers.

        DWP

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2014
          Victor,

          I should have replied to this back when you sent it but don't think I did - just saved the msg for the model and serial numbers.

          Don't get confused by the mix of names - Atlas, Craftsman/Sears and Clausing.  Atlas and Sears had a business relationship dating back at least to 1932 when Sears began selling a slightly modified Atlas 9" lathe under the Sears MasterCraft name.  Atlas bought Clausing around 1950 (Clausing also built lathes that were and remained different from the Atlas ones) .  Sometime in the early 1960's, Atlas changed the company name to Clausing.  Your lathe was built sometime between 1958 and 1967, at a guess around 1959 or 1960.

          The part numbers used by Sears are the Atlas part numbers.  And the Clausing that GP suggested that you call is the same company that originally built your machine.

          Robert Downs - Houston