Adjust-tru chuck info

  • James Irwin
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 8, 2013
      Adjust-tru chuck info I’m interested in improving accuracy potential.
      Anyone have a link to info on how they are used/adjusted?
      Seems also I remember some talk of how to add semi-adjust-tru capability to a “normal” 3-jaw universal chuck.
      Info?

      Thanks

      Jim
    • Carvel Webb
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 8, 2013
        Adjust-tru chuck info

        Jim,

        One poor man’s ‘adjust tru’ method was to turn the register on the backplate such that there was a few thou play between the chuck register and the back plate register.

        One then snugs up the chuck on the back plate  , but not completely tight , dial up a known round test bar , and tap the chuck with a non-damaging hammer to get the indicator to zero run out , and finally tighten the backplate to chuck mounting bolts .

        This however only works 100% at the diameter of the test bar , as other inaccuracies in e.g. the scroll come into play at other settings ,

        Regards,

        Carvel

        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 8, 2013
          if th e chuck is  reasonably  repeatable at  different capacities , but has too much runout , poor  boy  "fix" works  well .....i just  recently  set up a 4in chuck this  way ...but then if you have repeatability , why not just  true the jaws? ....the real  disadvantage of a poor by  fix is stability  of  the chuck/back plate  ...since the  register is  reduced & the  bolt  holes  inlarged, things  can get  knocked out of  line
           an answer to that  is an  intermediate plate w/ a reduced  register vs  the  back plate   &  four opposing screws on the peripheree bearing  on the  back plate extension into the  intermediate  plate ...these  screws  adjaust  & then BEAR on the  extension to hold everything  true
           best  wishes
          doc

          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 8, 2013
            James Irwin wrote:

            > I’m interested in improving accuracy potential.
            > Anyone have a link to info on how they are used/adjusted?
            > Seems also I remember some talk of how to add semi-adjust-tru
            > capability to a “normal” 3-jaw universal chuck.
            The classic Buck Adjus-Tru chuck had a big round boss in the middle of
            the backplate, and 4 large setscrews on the side of the chuck that pressed
            against the boss. So, you loosened the chuck mounting bolts and adjusted
            the setscrews in pairs to get dero dial indicator variation as you rotated
            the chuck. Then, tighten the mounting screws and hope it doesn't change,

            On the classic plain-back chuck, you can turn the register on the
            face of the backplate a little undersize and do the same trick, usually
            using a rubber mallet to make the adjustment.

            Jon
          • James Irwin
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 9, 2013
              And I was expecting something much more sophisticated!
              Sounds like something easily done to a typical chuck.
              Thanks

              Jim

              On 4/8/13 9:00 PM, "Jon Elson" wrote:

              > James Irwin wrote:
              >>

              >> I¹m interested in improving accuracy potential.
              >> Anyone have a link to info on how they are used/adjusted?
              >> Seems also I remember some talk of how to add semi-adjust-tru
              >> capability to a ³normal² 3-jaw universal chuck.
              > The classic Buck Adjus-Tru chuck had a big round boss in the middle of
              > the backplate, and 4 large setscrews on the side of the chuck that pressed
              > against the boss. So, you loosened the chuck mounting bolts and adjusted
              > the setscrews in pairs to get dero dial indicator variation as you rotated
              > the chuck. Then, tighten the mounting screws and hope it doesn't change,
              >
              > On the classic plain-back chuck, you can turn the register on the
              > face of the backplate a little undersize and do the same trick, usually
              > using a rubber mallet to make the adjustment.
            • Dr.jinG
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 9, 2013
                Funny. Never seen a six jaw chuck before, saw one searching eBay, then saw your post after that. What's the deal with six jaw chucks all of a sudden? Here's the link, if you haven't already found it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Chuck-for-a-lathe-Craftsman-Atlas-South-Bend-Logan-/281088581417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41722f5f29

                jon

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, James Irwin <jirwin1@...> wrote:

                > I grew fond of the 6-jaw chuck long ago, but never sprung for the cost.
                > Anyone have one for my 12 in Atlas to sell reasonably?
                > Know a good quality, low price source for one?
                >
                > 6-inch, or maybe 8 inch
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Jim Irwin

              • JACK SIMS
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 9, 2013
                  One of the most accurate chucks that I ever had the pleasure of working with in my machining life was a Buck 6 jaw, after you got it dialed in it would  repeat within a few tenths of a thousands if you were using good round stock.
                  Jack Sims
                  Carrollton, Texas
                  Funny. Never seen a six jaw chuck before, saw one searching eBay, then saw your post after that. What's the deal with six jaw chucks all of a sudden? Here's the link, if you haven't already found it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Chuck-for-a-lathe-Craftsman-Atlas-South-Bend-Logan-/281088581417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41722f5f29

                  jon

                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, James Irwin <jirwin1@...> wrote:

                  > I grew fond of the 6-jaw chuck long ago, but never sprung for the cost.
                  > Anyone have one for my 12 in Atlas to sell reasonably?
                  > Know a good quality, low price source for one?
                  >
                  > 6-inch, or maybe 8 inch
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > Jim Irwin

                • Richard Marchi
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 9, 2013
                    I am always amused by the amount of bandwidth used up on this forum by folks agonizing about getting the last gnat's ass of accuracy out of a three jaw chuck. Folks, a three jaw is built for speed of setup and ease of use, not for high accuracy. That's why we have four jaw chucks, collets and faceplates.

                    Of course, I can always just skim over all the chuck posts, I suppose...

                    Dick

                    Richard Marchi
                    Gangplank Marina Slip H-22
                    Washington, DC 20024
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 9, 2013
                      Dr.jinG wrote:
                      > Funny. Never seen a six jaw chuck before, saw one searching eBay, then saw your post after that. What's the deal with six jaw chucks all of a sudden? Here's the link, if you haven't already found it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-Chuck-for-a-lathe-Craftsman-Atlas-South-Bend-Logan-/281088581417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41722f5f29

                      They are great when chucking large, thinwall tubes. Much less deflection of
                      the tube that way.