Re: [atlas_craftsman] New here and New to us Atlas 3996

  • tk1161
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
      On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 23:02:58 -0400 (EDT), wa5cab@...:

      >Welcome aboard, Tom. There are several of us here with 3996's. I bought
      >mine new in 1982.

      thank you, I was told off the site on another foruum.
      this was a one owner machine (hehe I just got a laugh out of that for
      some reason, one owner) pretty neat was, in the back of the Lathe
      operation Manual, he put his name and 1969, I assume he bought it new
      in 69 then, but not suure what year the lathe is

      Tom

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
        Tom et al,

        I've been in San Antonio (we live in Houston) most of the past two weeks because of my father-in-law's hospitalization and subsquent death.  So although the cable internet connection in his apartment still works fine (he never used it) I don't have much time for email, etc.

        If the PO (Previous Owner) bought the 3996 new in 1969, the lathe was most likely made in either 1969 or 1968, depending.  Clausing (current owner of the Atlas name and still a supplier of many parts for at least the later (post WW-II) machines) unfortunately has no production history.  The Atlas factory and offices moved several times over the years plus changed its name to Clausing in the 60's (they had bought Clausing around 1950) and we assume that records were probably lost every time they moved.  There is no known way to actually determine the date that a specific machine rolled off the end of the assembly line.  The later (1/2" ways) beds have a casting date cast in.  However, (a) it is often illegible and (b) it appears that Atlas ran a bed casting batch only every few years.  The two spindle bearing cones have a date hand etched on them which is probably the bearing receipt inspection date.  It is not uncommon to find machines with the two dates as much as a year apart.  And even the original purchase paperwork date can't be depended upon better than +0/-2 years.  Although I no longer have the original invoice on my machine, I know from other things that I must have bought it in early 1982.  But Atlas lathe production ceased in March 1981 and I am pretty sure that the vendor must have had mine on his floor since late 1980.

        The Craftsman equivalent to the 3996 first appeared in the Sears Spring 1967 catalog (AKA Big Book).  The equivalent to the 3991 last appeared in the 1966 Power Tools catalog.  The Big Book was undoubtedly printed and distributed late in 1966 (before Christmas) and judging from Power Tools catalogs that do have a copyright date or year shown, so was the PT catalog.  So I have pegged the changeover from knob to lever Cross Feed to Q3/66.

        All of which says that yours dates to the period late 1966 to early 1969.  If you ever have a reason to pull the spindle, the bearing dates may tighten that at least on the early side of the range.

        Robert D

        In a message dated 4/5/2013 11:17:50 PM Central Daylight Time, tmgsr@... writes:
        On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 23:02:58 -0400 (EDT), wa5cab@...:

        >Welcome aboard, Tom.  There are several of us here with 3996's.  I bought
        >mine new in 1982.

        thank you, I was told off the site on another foruum.
        this was a one owner machine (hehe I just got a laugh out of that for
        some reason, one owner)  pretty neat was, in the back of the Lathe
        operation Manual, he put his name and 1969, I assume he bought it new
        in 69 then, but not suure what year the lathe is

        Tom

        >Robert Downs - Houston
        >wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
        >MVPA 9480
        >
        >In a message dated 4/5/2013 9:50:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
        >tmgsr@... writes:
        >>thought I would say a quick hello, I just joined this group, we have a
        >>12 x 36 Atlas lathe we just purchased, and look forward to learning
        >>more about it and learning to use it,
        >>
        >>I'm Tom

        Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
      • tk1161
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
          rOn Mon, 8 Apr 2013 17:05:41 -0400 (EDT), wa5cab@...:

          thank you We are sorry to hear of you Father In Law, our condolences
          to your family, my father in law just went into the hospital
          saturday, he fell and whiplashed his neck and became paralyzed,
          someone walking by found him in the year and called 911, they did
          surgery and he has some feeling in his hands and hopefully will
          recover with some time, he still can not move anything

          thank you for the information, I like the lathe, in fact the more it;s
          here the more I like it and thought if/when I get a larger one I may
          just keep this one and hand it down to one of my kids or maybe grand
          kids hopefully

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
            Thanks.  I'm usually pretty active here and that part of my post was at least in part to explain why I haven't said much recently.  Sorry to hear about what happened to your father-in-law, too.

            As far as getting a larger machine is concerned, if you actually need a larger one, get it.  But the only thing I can think of that I ever could and would have done myself if I had had say a 15" or 16" was turn 11" Land Rover brake drums.  For reasons I won't go into, I quit restoring vintage Land Rovers a decade ago and if I had bought a 16", I'd probably still be stuck with it.  It would be inconveniently large for much of what I've been doing since.  Unless you are trying to turn out hundreds of parts a day, the only real drawback to the 12" Atlas underdrive commercial is the small spindle bore.  I had to make some phenolic insulators for the radio installation in a Weasel restoration last year.  The job would have gone quicker if I could have fed the stock through the headstock.  But that hasn't happened very often and there is usually a workaround.  There are certainly better machines than the Atlas for convenience but they tend not to be cheap!

            Robert D

            In a message dated 4/8/2013 5:26:14 PM Central Daylight Time, tmgsr@... writes:
            thank you We are sorry to hear of you Father In Law, our condolences
            to your family,  my father in law just went into the hospital
            saturday, he fell and whiplashed his neck and became paralyzed,
            someone walking by found  him in the yard and called 911, they did

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
              On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 00:17:36 -0400, tmgsr@...:

              >On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 23:02:58 -0400 (EDT), wa5cab@...:
              >
              >>Welcome aboard, Tom. There are several of us here with 3996's. I bought
              >>mine new in 1982.
              >
              >thank you, I was told off the site on another foruum.
              > this was a one owner machine (hehe I just got a laugh out of that for
              >some reason, one owner) pretty neat was, in the back of the Lathe
              >operation Manual, he put his name and 1969, I assume he bought it new
              >in 69 then, but not suure what year the lathe is

              BTW I made a mistake, the date in the back of the book was in fact
              4-12-1968 not '69