Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Rocker style tool post for 12 inch Atlas?

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2013
      i will offer up 3 of  my solutions

       i have no  use  for  the  rocker  ....... w/out  the  rocker , &  the tool holder on a flat surface ,the ridgidity is  near that  of a quick change ( for a  light  lathe )
       ihave done this  3 ways
       ...the latest , a barnes 9 in lathe  , i nstead of  the rocker /crved  washe  , i used two piecess  the  top piece screwing  into  the  lower  one ..these are   THICK washer shaped &  they  adjust  the tool ht by screwing  the  top one  ore or less into  the lower one ...both are  knurled for  handling
         on  my 12x36  cfrtsmn  commerciela  i use 1-1/2 & 2 in square turrets , circa 2 in high, w/ angled slots on the 4 sides ...this gives  some adjustment  as  the bit  wears   w/ out  needing  shims......of  course  you can use a horizontal  slot & then  shim to  ht....i also sawed some squares into  triangles  w/ individual slots  on one or two sides for bits , so that i can  get into  tighter areas, &  these are necessary ,,,,,,.other blocks  hold knurler , & cut off blades ..for  heavy  parting  off i use an  armstrong FLEXBLE  goose neck  holder which near eliminates chatter & jam ups  , by  flexing  away from  teh  cut ......i prefer these  solid side slot  holders  to the q /change i succunbed to in a  moment  of weakness ( & sale price)
          on my monarch A 14 in.., i used  several one in thick washers ....i  opened these up to slide over  the  post & thinned two of them to different  thicknesses.......these two PLUS the  armstrong  type bit  holders  which angle the bits  upward on a  slant , provide  suffiocient  abjustment  to   center  the tool bit  & keep it  there by sliding out after  regrinding ....by  eliminating  the rocker, & having the  tool holder on a  SOLID FLAT WIDE THICKwasher , i have  actually  taken a  two inch bar  down to one in bar  in a  single  pass , just  to see what  cud be  done...
         .i added a  riser to the  AXA quick change  to  use it on the  monarch , but truthfully , rarely  use it ....the thick  washers  work well w/ the  tool holders angled  bit  hole ...& once these are  set , the  bit is  alwways  centered...
           i get  the  feeling  &  maybe  wrongly so ,from  your  statement  that  you ordered tool steel rather than square lathe  bits, that  you are  using  solid  tools  rather  than  tool holders  &  bits ...i f  so , the  adjustment  provided  by  the  angled bit  hole on the  holders  is  lost
       best  wishes ,
      doc